Transferring Your SEVIS Record

How to transfer to Michigan Tech

If you are currently in the US on another institution's I-20, you must also submit a completed Transfer In Form. You do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again but you must have a copy of the receipt to show the US Embassy if you require a new visa.

How to transfer out of Michigan Tech

If you would like to transfer to another school in F-1 or J-1 status, you ask Michigan Tech (the transfer-out school) to transfer your Student and Exchange Visitor Program record, or SEVIS, to the new school (the transfer-in school). If you do not request a SEVIS transfer your new school will not be able to access your SEVIS record or issue you a new transfer I-20/DS-2019 from that school.

You need to know:

  • SEVIS records and academic records are different, and unrelated.
  • Applying to a new school and being accepted will not automatically transfer your immigration (SEVIS) records.

To transfer your SEVIS record, submit:

  • A completed Transfer Out Form
  • The new school's transfer-in form, if it has one
  • A copy of your admission letter from the new school

Submit your documents through this google form.

F-1 students who do not request a transfer within their grace period will be out of status. If you lose legal F-1 status, you have to depart and re-enter the US with a new initial I-20 from your new school in order to study at that school.

For J-1 students, transfers must be requested prior to the end of your program.