If you would like to transfer to another school in F-1 or J-1 status, you ask Michigan
Tech (the transfer-out school) to transfer your Student and Exchange Visitor Program record, or SEVIS, to the new
school (the transfer-in school). If you do not request a SEVIS transfer your new school will not be able to access
your SEVIS record or issue you a new transfer I-20/DS-2019 from that school.
You need to know:
- SEVIS records and academic records are different, and unrelated.
- Applying to a new school and being accepted will not automatically transfer your immigration (SEVIS) records.
To transfer your SEVIS record, submit:
- A completed Transfer Out Form
- The new school's transfer-in form, if it has one
- A copy of your admission letter from the new school
F-1 students who do not request a transfer within their grace period will be out of status. If you lose legal F-1 status, you have to depart and re-enter the US with a new initial I-20 from your new school in order to study at that school.
If you ask to transfer to another US school in the middle of the semester, you have no grace period. You need to start studying immediately at your new school.
For J-1 students, transfers must be requested prior to the end of your program.