If you would like to transfer to another school in F-1 or J-1 status, you ask Michigan
Tech (the transfer-out school) to transfer your Student and Exchange Visitor Program record, or SEVIS, to the new
school (the transfer-in school). If you do not request a SEVIS transfer your new school will not be able to access
your SEVIS record or issue you a new transfer I-20/DS-2019 from that school.
You need to know:
- SEVIS records and academic records are different, and unrelated.
- Applying to a new school and being accepted will not automatically transfer your immigration (SEVIS) records.
To transfer your SEVIS record, submit:
- A completed Transfer Out Form
- The new school's transfer-in form, if it has one
- A copy of your admission letter from the new school
F-1 students who do not request a transfer within their grace period will be out of status. If you lose legal F-1 status, you have to depart and re-enter the US with a new initial I-20 from your new school in order to study at that school.
For J-1 students, transfers must be requested prior to the end of your program.