If You Need a Program Extension
F-1/J-1 students must complete academic program requirements in a set amount of time. The program end date is printed on page one of the I-20 or DS-2019.
Students unable to meet their academic program requirements by the program end date must apply for a program extension before their program end date.
Extension Eligibility Criteria
You may qualify for an extension if:
- Your I-20/DS-2019 expiration date has not passed.
- You continuously maintained F-1/J-1 student status.
- Your delay in completing your program is because of a compelling academic or medical reason.
- Academic reasons include change of major, change in research topic, unexpected research problems, etc.
- A medical reason requires documentation from the student health center or a US-licensed medical physician.
How to Request an Extension
- Return to IPS the completed and signed Academic Advisor’s Recommendation for Extension of Program of Study.
- Students I-20/DS-2019 Extension Request: Advisor's Recommendation
- J-1 Exchange Visitor (Scholars) Request for Extension of Program Form
- Affidavit of Financial Support (undergraduate students)
- Certification of Finances Form (graduate students)
- You will be contacted when your new I-20 or DS-2019 is ready.
We strongly recommend you submit the extension request as soon as possible and no later than one to two months prior to the expiration of your current I-20 form.
Keep all I-20 or DS-2019 forms you are issued.