If You Need a Program Extension

F-1/J-1 students must complete academic program requirements in a set amount of time. The program end date is printed on page one of the I-20 or DS-2019.

Students unable to meet their academic program requirements by the program end date must apply for a program extension before their program end date.

Requesting a program extension to participate in Curriculum Practical Training (CPT) will not be authorized due to federal rules and regulations.

Extension Eligibility Criteria

You may qualify for an extension if:

  • Your I-20/DS-2019 expiration date has not passed.
  • You continuously maintained F-1/J-1 student status.
  • Your delay in completing your program is because of a compelling academic or medical reason.
  • Academic reasons include change of major, change in research topic, unexpected research problems, etc.
  • A medical reason requires documentation from the student health center or a US-licensed medical physician.

How to Request an Extension

  1. Complete the following documents and upload to the Students I-20/DS-2019 Program Extension Request.
    1. Advisor's Recommendation must be signed by your Academic Advisor. 
    2. Affidavit of Financial Support (undergraduate students) 
    3. Certification of Finances Form (graduate students)
  2. Complete the Students I-20/DS-2019 Program Extension Request google form and upload document a and b or c. 
  1. You will be contacted when your new I-20 or DS-2019 is ready.

We strongly recommend you submit the extension request as soon as possible and no later than one to two months prior to the expiration of your current I-20 form.

Keep all I-20 or DS-2019 forms you are issued.