Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) is an employment authorization that allows an F-1 student to work in a position directly related to his or her field of study after completion of academic studies.
Students are eligible to finish a thesis or dissertation while on 12-month OPT as long as the Graduate School and academic advisor agree. Students must finish all degree requirements within the 12-month OPT.
- You must be in good academic standing with the University.
- No job offer is required.
- F-1 students are eligible for a total of 12 months of OPT at each degree level—for example, you may have 12 months of OPT at the bachelor’s level and another 12 months of OPT at the master’s level.
- All employment must be directly related to your field of study.
- You must have a valid passport.
- You have not had more than 12 months of full-time Curricular Practical Training (CPT).