International Programs and Services (IPS) works with the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) operated by the United States Department of Homeland Security. Through web-based SEVIS, schools and other sponsoring organizations can maintain information on F-1 and J-1 students and scholars who visit the United States and participate in the US education system.
IPS helps students meet educational and professional goals. But the main responsibility is on students. They must learn, understand, and comply with federal laws and regulations for F-1 or J-1 status.
F-1 students must:
- Register full time for fall and spring semesters, and as required for summer
- Maintain a current passport valid for at least six months into the future at all times
- Know your grace periods
- Request authorization from IPS before dropping below full-time enrollment
- Report all address changes via MyMichiganTech within 10 days
- Report changes to your name, if you plan to bring a dependent to the US, or plans to change your visa status
- Request transferring to another school as soon as possible
- Report a change in program of study (for instance, moving from one degree level to another, or a change in major) to IPS and request a new I-20
- Request travel signatures before you depart the US
- Request an I-20 Extension at least two weeks before the document expires