F-1 and J-1 students can change majors, or finish a degree at one level and get admitted to a new program at a new level. But it is your responsibility to report these changes to IPS. If you change levels or majors, IPS needs to process a new I-20/DS-2019 for you and update it with the government's SEVIS records.
Before you request a new I-20/DS-2019 from IPS, your first step would be to complete all necessary academic procedures. We are unable to move forward with updating your immigration documents until the Graduate School or the Registrar's Office have completed their steps. Do not fill out the forms to request a new I-20/DS-2019 until you have received confirmation that everything is completed on the academic side.
Change of Level
- Download and complete the Change of Level Request form. You must upload this to the Google form linked below.
- Fill out the Change of Level Google form and upload the necessary documents.
- The following additional documents are required only if you are advancing to a Graduate level, i.e., Bachelors to Masters or PhD, OR Masters to PhD
- Acceptance letter from the Graduate School
- A copy of your financial guarantee or bank statement, or letter of funding from your department indicating that you have sufficient funds to cover at least 1 year of study and living cost
- Completed and filled Certification of Finances form
Change of Major
- Download and complete the Change of Major Request form. You must upload this to the Google form linked below.
- Fill out the Change of Major Google form and upload the necessary documents.
- If you are an undergraduate student, you must first go to your MyMichiganTech page to make the necessary changes. Feel free to contact the Registrar's Office if you need help or have doubts regarding this.
- Graduate students must also upload a copy of the acceptance letter from the Graduate School indicating their new department/major, to the Google form.
- If you think that you will need one or more additional semesters to complete the additional coursework related to your new major, you will also have to get a program extension approved by your new academic advisor for your new major. Download and complete the Advisor Approval for Program Extension, and upload a signed copy onto the Change of Major Google form that you are filling.
IPS will review your application for approval and issue a new I-20 or DS-2019.
Since the government now accepts electronic signatures on I-20s and DS-2019s, you will only be mailed a new copy, you will not be receiving a hard copy.
Note: These procedures are only to be used for students whose current visa status is either F-1 or J-1. For J-1 students or F-2 dependents wishing to change their status to F-1, please visit this page.