Travel to Canada - Automatic Revalidation

NOTE: Do not surrender your I-94 at the port of entry in Canada.  

These guidelines are to be used by F-1 and J-1 students to travel to Canada and re-enter the United States without any problems. If you are a citizen of one of the following countries, you do not need a Canadian visa to enter Canada:

Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Cayman Islands, Cyprus, Denmark, Falkland Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Passport, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (Israel passport holders only), Italy, Japan, South Korea, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Montserrat, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn Island, Portugal, St. Helena, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Turks & Caicos Island, United States (including permanent residents), United Kingdom (including overseas citizens who are re-admissible to the United Kingdom), and Western Samoa.  

List of countries subject to change, review the Visitor Visa Exemption website. Students coming from all other countries who are planning to travel to Canada must obtain a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa

Students of the following countries may face delays in obtaining a visa at Canadian consulates:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, China (PRC), Croatia, Cuba, Egypt, Estonia, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Morocco, Palestine Authority, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen, and Yugoslavia.

If you are a citizen of one of the above countries, you will be required to provide:

  • A travel itinerary
  • A list of cities that you intend to visit
  • Your means of travel (car, airplane, etc.)
  • Names, addresses, and phone numbers of individuals and businesses to be contacted in Canada

Applying for a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa

All applications must be submitted by mail to the Consulate General of Canada in Detroit. It is recommend that you apply at least 3 months in advance of your planned travel to Canada. The consulate only accepts bank drafts, cashier's checks or money orders payable to the “Consulate General of Canada”. No cash or personal checks will be accepted by mail.

IPS recommends that you use certified, registered, or USPS Express delivery to ensure fast delivery of your visa application. The Consulate General of Canada returns documents through regular mail only.

Application for a Temporary Resident Canadian Visa Checklist

  • Valid Passport (with a minimum of six months before expiration)
  • Original I-94
  • Canadian Visitor visa application
  • Processing fee
  • Two passport photos (taken in the last 6 months)
  • Bank statement or financial affidavit (covering the past 3 months)
  • If visiting a friend, an invitation letter from a friend or relative; if attending a conference, a business invitation
  • SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 signed for travel by the IPS advisor
  • All previous I-20s or DS-2019s
  • Letter from the IPS office verifying your F-1 or J-1 student status at MTU
  • Official transcript
  • For visa applications, the interview appointment letter from the U.S. Consulate
  • Prepaid, self-addressed return envelope.

J-1 visa students with the designation 212 (d)(3)(A)(28) on the U.S. visa in their passport, must see an IPS advisor for instructions on obtaining special clearance from the U.S. Department of State at least 30 days before departure.  

NOTE: Do not surrender your I-94 at the port of entry in Canada.