Travel – U.S. Departure and Re-entry

Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record

Permission to be in the U.S. comes from your Form I-94, which is issued to you at the port of entry and grants you admission to the U.S. Please print your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record and carry this at all times. You will be issued a new I-94 every time you enter the U.S. 

You will need the following documents to re-enter the U.S. to continue your studies. It is recommended that you travel with proof of your health insurance in case of illness or injury.

Students with a valid and unexpired visa

  • Valid and unexpired passport
  • Valid and unexpired U.S. visa stamp in your passport (except for Canadian Citizens)
  • Valid and unexpired I-20 or DS-2019 form;
  • I-20 or DS-2019 signed for travel by an IPS advisor within 6 months of your return date
  • Dependent I-20’s or DS-2019’s and passports (if applicable)

Students on Post-Completion OPT or OPT Extension will also need to carry your EAD card.