Parking Information and Services Offered
Welcome to the Transportation Services web page! Transportation Services is responsible for parking and vehicle registration for the entire University Community. The Transportation Services office is conveniently located in the Administration Building Room 100 and is open Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM (Summer hours are 8 AM to 4 PM).
Transportation Services strives to create consistent and clear vehicle regulations in order to make parking simple and convenient for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff through the use of the following principles:
- All individuals who are associated with the university must have a permit to park on any university owned or leased property.
- Any vendors, service providers and visitors must also have a permit to identify their permission to park on university property.
- Enforcement of parking regulations shall be fair and consistent. Effective enforcement will insure legal parkers have the ability to park in the designated spaces.
- Transportation services shall maintain a fair and impartial appeals process to mitigate citation fees for truly exceptional or extraordinary circumstances.
- A fee will be imposed on all users of university parking facilities. The proceeds of this fee will be used as directed by university management for the purpose of offsetting all of the costs of parking, maintaining parking, and public safety services on campus.
- General permits, reserved lot permits (lot 11) and “red” faculty/staff permits cannot be purchased with a Michigan Tech University departmental index.
Persons needing assistance dealing with vehicle problems can contact Transportation Services at 487-1441 for help during normal office hours. We provide assistance with flat tires, running out of gas, and dead car batteries at no charge. For other problems, we can assist you in contacting the appropriate services depending on your needs.
Transportation Services Shuttle Service
Transportation Services operates a free shuttle service from the Memorial union to the SDC and through both Lower and Upper Daniell heights. Click here to view the Shuttle Service Route and Schedule. For questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at 7-3288.
The shuttle is currently running Monday through Friday. We adjust the schedule throughout the year based on customer responses. Please check back frequently for any schedule changes.
Please note: The Shuttle operates on all MTU business days (Monday through Friday) EXCEPT for any days when the University is closed due to inclement weather.
Houghton Public Transit
The city of Houghton offers a local bus service for transportation of local residents and visitors. For more information about their bus service, please call (906) 482-6092 or visit their website at: http://www.cityofhoughton.com/info-transit.php.
Michigan Tech has partnered with Zipcar to bring self-service, on-demand car sharing to the area. To use Zipcars, simply register as a member, reserve a car online or by phone, use your Zipcard to enter the car, and drive away. When you’re done, return the car to the reserved Zipcar parking space in front of the Memorial Union Building or in Lot 15W at the front of Wadsworth Hall.
As a member you get:
- Access to Zipcars 24/7.
- Discounted hourly rates for faculty, staff, and students age 18 and older: rates start at just $7.50/hour or $69/day.
- Gas, insurance, and maintenance are included for free!
- Join for only $25 a year, and receive $35 in driving credit your first month.
Learn more and get started at: http://www.zipcar.com/mtu
New CashKey meters are located across campus. CashKeys allow parking in metered spaces for up to 8 hours a day at a rate of seventy five cents per hour ($0.75/hour). CashKeys may only be used in one (1) hour increments. These new meters will still accept coin payments. CashKeys are available for purchase at the Transportation Services office located in room 100 of the Administration Building, in amounts of $25, $50 and $100 (a $25 deposit is required).