- EERC 613
- Associate Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PhD, Electrical Engineering, University College Dublin
- MSc, Electrical Engineering, Iowa State University
- BSc, Electrical Engineering, Iowa State University
The fourth industrial revolution enables endless possibilities in today's Interdisciplinarity. In the context of resiliency, the establishment of emerging platforms catalyzes transdisciplinary research. Particularly, the coupled interdependencies of power grid and transportation can be revived by addressing the tradeoff between energy efficiency, associated safety and security, i.e, reconfigurability and sustainability. Dr. Ten's primary interests in research focus on quantifying rare events based on system risk models (stochastic graph and combinatorics) with statistical establishment in data science. He was born in Alor Setar, Malaysia. He received a BS and an MS in Electrical Engineering from Iowa State University, in Ames, in 1999 and 2001, respectively. Before completing his Master's degree, he had a summer internship with MidAmerican in Des Moines, working as an energy management system (EMS) analyst. He was a SCADA Application Engineer with Siemens Energy Management and Information System (SEMIS) in Singapore from 2002 to 2006. He then received a Ph.D. in 2009 from University College Dublin (UCD), National University of Ireland. He has been with Michigan Tech since January 2010 and had been tenured in 2016. Chee-Wooi currently serves as an editor for the IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid and the Elsevier Journal Sustainable Energy, Grids and Networks (SEGAN).
Links of Interest
- Circuit/graph theory
- Power grid modeling and analysis
- Distribution emergency
- Cybersecurity planning for power grid
- System dynamics and stability
- Energy control center applications
Areas of Research Interest
Discipline: Power systems engineering
- Security protection for power substations
- Cyber-physical system of critical infrastructure systems
- Anomaly detection of synchrophasor patterns
- Future control center framework
- Distribution management and automation
- Smart home technologies
- Geographic information system
Publications (Reverse Chronological order)
- Chee-Wooi Ten and Yachen Tang, "Distribution Emergency Operation," CRC Press. Sep. 2018.
- Chee-Wooi Ten and Yonghe Guo, "Cybersecurity of Distribution Devices and Systems," in the Smart Grid Handbook, edited by Chen-Ching Liu, Stephen McArthur, and Seung-Jae Lee. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2016, pp. 891-904. <10.1002/9781118755471.SGD011>
- Nathan Lau, Hao Wang, Chee-Wooi Ten, and Ryan Gerdes, "Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition," In A. Moallem (Ed.), Human-Computer Interaction in Cybersecurity Handbook. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press.
- Yachen Tang, Shuaidong Zhao, Chee-Wooi Ten, Kuilin Zhang, and Thillainathan Logenthiran, "Establishment of Enhanced Load Modeling by Correlating with Occupancy Information," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid (accepted on Sep. 17, 2019). <10.1109/TSG.2019.2942581>
- Chee-Wooi Ten, "Grid Security Challenges Ahead," IEEE Smart Grid Newsletter, July 2018.
- Kevin P. Schneider, Barry Mather, Bikesh C. Pal, Chee-Wooi Ten, Greg Shirek, Hao Zhu, Jason Fuller, José Luiz Rezende Pereira, Luis F. Ochoa, Leandro Ramos de Araujo, Roger C. Dugan, Sumit Paudyal, Thomas E. McDermott, William Kersting, "Analytic Considerations and Design Basis for the IEEE Distribution Test Feeders," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 3181—3188, May 2018. <10.1109/TPWRS.2017.2760011>
- Zhiyuan Yang, Chee-Wooi Ten, and Andrew Ginter, "Extended Enumeration of Hypothesized Substations Outages Incorporating Implications of Overloading," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 6929—6938, Nov. 2018 <10.1109/TSG.2017.2728792>
- Chong Wang, Chee-Wooi Ten, and Yunhe Hou, "Inference of Compromised Synchrophasor Units Within Substation Control Networks," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 5831—5842, Nov. 2018 <10.1109/TSG.2017.2697449>
- Chee-Wooi Ten, Koji Yamashita, Zhiyuan Yang, Athanasios Vasilakos, and Andrew Ginter, "Impact Assessment of Hypothesized Cyberattacks on Interconnected Bulk Power Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 4405—4425, Sep. 2018. <10.1109/TSG.2017.2656068>
- Chong Wang, Yunhe Hou, and Chee-Wooi Ten, "Determination of Nash Equilibrium Based on Plausible Attack/Defense Event Strategies," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 3670—3680, Sep. 2017. <10.1109/TPWRS.2016.2635156>
- Chong Wang, Chee-Wooi Ten, Yunhe Hou, and Andrew Ginter, "Cyber Inference System for Substation Anomalies Against Alter-and-Hide Attacks," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 896—909, Mar. 2017. <10.1109/TPWRS.2016.2574769>
- Yichi Zhang, Lingfeng Wang, Yingmeng Xiang, and Chee-Wooi Ten, "Inclusion of SCADA Cyber Vulnerability in Power System Reliability Assessment Considering Optimal Resources Allocation," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 4379—4394, Nov. 2016. <10.1109/TPWRS.2015.2510626>
- Chee-Wooi Ten, Andrew Ginter, and Rashiduzzaman Bulbul, "Cyber-Based Contingency Analysis," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 3040—3050, Sep. 2015. <10.1109/TPWRS.2015.2482364>
- Yonghe Guo, Chee-Wooi Ten, Shiyan Hu, and Wayne Weaver, "Preventive Maintenance for Advanced Metering Infrastructure Against Malware Propagation," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 1314—1328, May 2016. <10.1109/TSG.2015.2453342>
- Yichi Zhang, Lingfeng Wang, Yingmeng Xiang, and Chee-Wooi Ten, "Power System Reliability Evaluation with SCADA Cybersecurity Considerations," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 1707—1721, Jul. 2015. <10.1109/TSG.2015.2396994>
- Yachen Tang, Chee-Wooi Ten, Chaoli Wang, and Gordon Parker, "Extraction of Energy Information from Analog Meters Using Image Processing" IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid under "Special Issue: Monitoring, Visualization, and State Estimation for Distribution Systems," vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 2032—2040, Jul. 2015. <10.1109/TSG.2015.2388586>
- Rashiduzzaman Bulbul, Pingal Sapkota, Chee-Wooi Ten, Lingfeng Wang, and Andrew Ginter, "Intrusion Evaluation of Communication Network Architectures for Power Substations," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 1372—1382, Jun. 2015. <10.1109/TPWRD.2015.2409887>
- Yonghe Guo, Chee-Wooi Ten, and Panida Jirutitijaroen, "Online Data Validation for Distribution Operations Against Cybertampering," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 550—560, Mar. 2014. <10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2282931>
- Chen Liao, Chee-Wooi Ten, and Shiyan Hu, "Strategic FRTU Deployment Considering Cybersecurity in Secondary Distribution Network," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1264—1274, Sep. 2013. <10.1109/TSG.2013.2256939>
- Chee-Wooi Ten, Junho Hong, and Chen-Ching Liu, "Anomaly Detection for Cybersecurity of the Substations," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 865—873, Dec. 2011. <10.1109/TSG.2011.2159406>
- Chee-Wooi Ten, Manimaran Govindarasu, and Chen-Ching Liu, "Cybersecurity for Critical Infrastructures: Attack and Defense Modeling," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 853—865, Jul. 2010. <10.1109/TSMCA.2010.2048028>
- Chee-Wooi Ten, Chen-Ching Liu, and Manimaran Govindarasu, "Vulnerability Assessment of Cybersecurity for SCADA Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1836—1846, Nov. 2008. <10.1109/TPWRS.2008.2002298>
- Chee-Wooi Ten, Erich Wuergler, Hans-Joachim Diehl, and Hoay Beng Gooi, "Extraction of Geospatial Topology and Graphics for Distribution Automation Framework," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1776—1782, Nov. 2008. <10.1109/TPWRS.2008.2004835>
- Xia Yang, Myeon-Song Choi, Seung-Jae Lee, Chee-Wooi Ten, and Seong-Il Lim, "Fault Location for Underground Power Cable Using Distributed Parameter Approach," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1809—1816, Nov. 2008. <10.1109/TPWRS.2008.2002289>
- Ming Ni, James D. McCalley, Vijay Vittal, Scott Greene, Chee-Wooi Ten, Vijaya Sudhakar Ganugula, and Tayyib Tayyib, "Software Implementation of On-Line Risk-Based Security Assessment," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 1165—1172, Aug. 2003.
Funding (Reverse Chronological Order)
- Chee-Wooi Ten (Co-PI) with University of California—Riverside, “Discovery of Signatures, Anomalies, and Precursors in Synchrophasor Data with Matrix Profile and Deep Recurrent Neural Networks,” Department of Energy (DoE) DE-FOA-0001861, 9/1/2019 – 3/31/2021, $100,000 (MTU) of $999,415.
- Roman Sidortsove (PI) and Chelsea Schelly (Co-PI), Qingli Dai (Senior Personnel), Timothy J. Scarlett (Senior Personnel), Chee-Wooi Ten (Senior Personnel), David W. Watkins (Senior Personnel), “Enhancing Electrical Grid and Community Resilience through Repurposing Decommissioned Mines into Underground Pumped Storage Facilities,” Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, 1/1/2019—12/31/2019, Total Amount: $76,443 (including cost share), requested amount from the foundation $49,963.
- Chee-Wooi Ten (Lead PI) and Yeonwoo Rho, “CPS: Medium: Collaborative Research: An Actuarial Framework of Cyber Risk Management for Power Grid,” National Science Foundation, Sep. 1, 2017 – Aug. 31, 2020. Total Amount: $348,866 of $700,975 with University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee.
- Chee-Wooi Ten (Co-PI), Laura Brown, and Wayne Weaver, “Collaborative Research: CRISP Type 2: Revolution through Evolution: A Controls Approach to Improve How Society Interacts with Electricity,” National Science Foundation, Oct. 1, 2015 – September 30, 2019. Total Amount: $699,796 of $2.5M with other 3 universities and 1 company (My portion: $235,368).
- Chee-Wooi Ten (Co-PI), Wayner Weaver, and Gordon Parker, “Modeling and Control Technologies for Near-Term and Long-Term Networked Microgrids,” Department of Energy subcontracted through Argonne National Laboratory, Sep. 1, 2013 – August 31, 2014. Total Amount: $255,465 (My portion: $61,537).
- Chee-Wooi Ten (Co-PI), Sumit Paudyal, and Bruce Mork, “Strategies for Real-Time Monitoring and Optimal Control of Michigan Tech Distribution System,” Michigan Tech Research Excellent Fund (REF) – Research Seed (RS) Grants, Jul. 1, 2013 – Jun. 30, 2014. Total Amount: $25,000 (My portion: $8,333.33).
- Chee-Wooi Ten (PI), “Implementation of Unidirectional Gateway in a Substation Networked Environment (Design Phase),” Waterfall Security Solutions. Total Amount: $24,000 (cash) + $212,000 (software) (My portion: $236,000).
- Chee-Wooi Ten (PI), “Collaborative Research: Integrated Vulnerability-Reliability Modeling and Analysis of Cyber-Physical Power Systems,” National Science Foundation, ECCS Energy, Power and Adaptive Systems (EPAS), Jun. 1, 2012 – May 31, 2015. Total Amount: $200,000 (My portion: $200,000).
- Chee-Wooi Ten (PI), “Campus-Wide Smart Grid Initiative (Phase 1): Strengthening Campus Energy Information communication Infrastructure (Michigan Tech Start-Up),” This is a joint effort of Michigan Tech Facilities Management and Power and Energy Research Center (PERC) project that involves in multi-phase cyberinfrastructure deployment. This project stresses on practical implementation and interoperability of other software vendors. There are 10 buildings with electronic meters at Chem Science, DHH, Dow, EERC, Forestry, Library, McNair, MME, SDC, and Wad; and 2 buildings with FDR units at SDC Ice Arena and Rosza, Jul. 1, 2011 – Jun. 30, 2012. Total Amount: $35,000 (My portion: $35,000).
- Chee-Wooi Ten (Supporting the project for enhancing EE5250 class – Distribution Engineering), “US DOE An Interdisciplinary Program for Education and Outreach in Transportation Electrification,” Nov. 1, 2009 –Oct. 31, 2012. Total Amount: $26,827 (My portion: $26,827).
- EE2111 (Fall 2012) – Electric Circuits I
- EE2112 (Fall 2015) – Electric Circuits II and Lab
- EE4222 (Spring 2018) – Power System Analysis II
- EE4723 (Spring 2013) – Computer and Network Security
- EE5250 (Spring 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018) – Distribution Engineering I
- EE5251 (Fall 2010, 2016) - Distribution Engineering II
- EE5900 (Fall 2011, 2013) – Energy Control Center Applications
- EE6210 (Fall 2014, 2017, 2019) – Power System Dynamics and Stability