Notification Policies

Michigan Tech views students as young adults who are in the process of becoming responsible, accountable, and capable individuals. We respect their growing independence and hold them accountable for decisions they make. We also respect their privacy, but don't always promise confidentiality, and if needed, we will get others involved to ensure their well-being.

Notification Policy for Alcohol and Other Drugs

Alcohol Violations

The University generally will not notify parents or legal guardians of students under the age of 21 of first-time alcohol violations, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Extenuating circumstances that would warrant notifying the parent or guardian of a first-time alcohol violation includes conduct that indicates the student poses a danger to self, others, or property.

The University will notify parents or legal guardians of students under the age of 21 of all second and subsequent violations of the alcohol policy.

Drug Violations

On first offenses, the University may notify the parents or guardians of all conduct by students under the age of 21 that violates the University’s drug policy or that violates local, state, or federal law as it relates to illegal drug use. Parents or guardians are notified of all second offenses.

Advance Notice to Students

When the University determines that it must notify the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of a student under the age of 21 according to the above policy, the student will receive advance notice and may opt to initiate contact with the parent(s) or guardian(s) first.

Exceptions to the Notification Policy for Alcohol and Other Drugs

The University reserves the right to not notify parents or guardians of drug or alcohol violations of students under the age of 21 if the University determines that, because of the student’s family situation, doing so would endanger the student’s life or well-being.

Notification Policy for Mental Health Emergency

This notification procedure will be implemented if there is a substantial likelihood that the student will, in the near future, cause serious harm to self or others. This includes but is not limited to:

  • suicide attempt;
  • any physical assault, with or without weapons;
  • specific oral or written threats to inflict harm (e.g., a threat to shoot or otherwise harm a named individual) , including the use of any electronic means, with apparent intent and means to execute threat;
  • any mental health concern (e.g., paranoia or documented lack of ability to make sound decisions due to mental capacity) causing significant risk of harm to self or others;
  • restrictive eating or any other behavior causing significant medical concern.

 When a licensed mental health provider determines that the student cannot safely remain on campus in the independent living environment or off-campus in the surrounding campus community, the provider and the Dean of Students (or their designee) will confer to determine whether the student’s parents, legal guardians, spouse/partner, or designated emergency contact should be notified.

If emergency notification is indicated, reasonable efforts shall be made to consult with the student and attempt to have the student make the first contact. This is consistent with the general philosophy that supports students developing independence and personal accountability. However, in some situations, consultation with the student or first contact by the student may not be possible or appropriate. In such cases, it is not required that the student be alerted when their parent, legal guardian, or emergency contact is notified.

Exceptions to the Notification Policy for Mental Health Emergency

Even if the Dean of Students and licensed mental health provider feel that notification to parents, legal guardians, or a designated emergency contact should be made, the notification may be withheld if the Dean and the provider agree that the notification would likely cause greater substantial harm to the student or another person than non-notification.

 Exceptions to contacting the parents, legal guardians, spouse/partner, or designated emergency contact can only be made by the Dean of Students (or their designee), or the Vice President for Student Affairs and Advancement in the Dean’s absence.