It is the responsibility of students to stay informed about their academic standing at all times. The academic progress of degree-seeking and of non-degree seeking undergraduate students is monitored.
Good Academic Standing
The following are conditions of Good Academic Standing:
- The University cumulative GPA is 2.00 or greater.
- The GPA for the most recent semester is 2.00 or greater.
- The cumulative GPA in the major department is 2.00 or greater, based on at least 16 credits.
Graduation with Honors
Michigan Tech recognizes the outstanding academic achievements of baccalaureate and associate degree candidates at commencement, on diplomas, and on transcripts with the Latin scholastic distinctions of summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude. A student’s honor designation is determined by their cumulative grade point average.
All grades, which are on a point basis, are used to determine the cumulative GPA. Grades such as I, M, N, P, Q, S, and V are not included in GPA calculations.
Commencement-program honor designations are based on the cumulative GPA at the close of the preceding semester. Diploma and transcript honor designations are based on the cumulative GPA achieved after successful completion of all degree requirements.
Academic Honors are granted on the following basis:
- Summa Cum Laude (hightest honors) 3.90-4.00
- Magna Cum Laude (high honors) 3.70-3.89
- Cum Laude (honors) 3.50-3.69