Dean of Students

University Withdrawals

Students who need to terminate their course work during the semester should consult with the Dean of Students Office to formally withdraw.

Withdrawal Procedure

If a student terminates course work during the semester (weeks 1 through 14), registration must be formally withdrawn. Failure to submit a Student Withdrawal form to the Dean of Students Office may result in F grades and in payment of tuition and fees that otherwise might be avoided.

Withdrawals are processed according to an established refund schedule. Notifying the Dean of Students Office helps to ensure a smooth withdrawal-readmission process. Students may initiate the withdrawal process online by completing the Student Withdrawal form. If the student is not planning to return, a formal withdrawal assures a timely refund, if one is due to the student.

Medical Withdrawal Procedure

In addition to completing the withdrawal form, students who are withdrawing for medical or health-related reasons need to speak with a staff member in the Dean of Students Office to discuss the conditions and procedure for a medical withdrawal.  After you have completed the withdrawal form, the Dean of Students Office will contact you to schedule this appointment.

Students who wish to return to Michigan Tech following a medical withdrawal are required to provide documentation that confirms their readiness to return to a rigorous academic environment. This documentation needs to be received no later than six weeks prior to the start of the semester and should be directed to

This time frame ensures that the Dean of Students Office has sufficient time to review your request and assist with the re-enrollment. If materials are received shortly after this deadline, we will attempt to be flexible and review your request. However, if there is missing information and/or the University needs additional time to contact your treatment provider(s), consideration for a return may be made for the following semester rather than the semester for which you are seeking to return.

Required Course Withdrawal 

The Dean of Students Office may, on the recommendation of a department chair, require students to withdraw from any course(s) in which their preparation, progress, effort, or conduct is deemed unsatisfactory.

Withdrawal of Students 
Called to Active Military Service

Students called to active military duty are guaranteed readmission upon completion of their active service. Enrolled Michigan Tech students who are called to active military duty will be given the opportunity to work out the best possible solution for maintaining their academic status. A student must choose one of the following options before departing for active service:

  • Leave for active service with a tuition refund of 100 percent. Refunds involving financial aid will be adjudicated to decrease the payback required from the student to the lowest possible amount.
  • Agree that temporary grades will be issued for enrolled courses. The temporary grades will be P for Progress or I for Incomplete. In some cases, arrangements can be made to complete the course work while on active duty. Otherwise, the student may complete the courses when he or she returns to the University.

Involuntary Medical Withdrawal

In those cases where a counseling and/or medical evaluation indicates that it is necessary for a student to withdraw from Michigan Technological University, and the student refuses to withdraw voluntarily, an involuntary withdrawal may be imposed by the Dean of Students (in the case of undergraduate students) or by the Dean of the Graduate School (in the case of graduate students).  The procedures to implement this policy are available here.