- Cell: 906-370-7405
- Chem Sci 701B
- Associate Professor, Chemistry
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Texas A&M University
- PhD, University of Toronto
- MSc, University of Toronto
- BSc, University of Toronto
Rudy Luck, a member of the inorganic chemistry division at MTU, has research experience in the area of low valent molybdenum complexes capable of activating dinitrogen. His research has also focused on the synthesis and characterization of heteronuclear quadruply-bonded metal-metal complexes and contributions in the area of molecular dihydrogen compounds. Work in this latter area has had an impact on the interpretation of the result from the T1 nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopic measurement, which is applied towards the characterization of complexes suspected of containing the molecular dihydrogen ligand. More recent work has featured investigations into the catalytic applications of metal-oxo/peroxo systems in the area of epoxidation of olefins and the construction of metallo-framework cluster materials. Complexes are analyzed by the usual spectroscopic techniques and by single crystal X-ray diffraction using an Enraf-Nonius Turbo CAD4 diffractometer.
Links of Interest
- Low-valent molybdenum complexes capable of activating dinitrogen
- Synthesis and characterization of heteronuclear quadruply bonded metal-metal complexes
- Molecular dihydrogen compounds
- Catalytic applications of metal-oxo/peroxo systems in the area of epoxidation of olefins
- Construction of metallo-framework cluster materials
- Chen, Z., Luck, R. Production of trimethylaluminum (Me3Al) with counterfeit refrigerant chloromethane (R-40), reactivity of Me3Al with refrigerant oils and methods to deactivate Me3Al.” Cogent Chemistry, 2018, 4, 1487258 (1-15 pages).
- Luck, Rudy L., Horton, Derek“2-(3,4,5-trihydroxyoxan-2-yl)hydrazine-1-carbothioamide hydrate” CCDC 1913252: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination, 2019, DOI: 10.5517/ccdc.csd.cc226wt0 CSD Communication, 2019, CCDC1913252, 30/04/2019.
- Rudy L. Luck, Derek Horton, Olivier Marcq 6-(2-methyl-2-phenylhydrazinylidene)hexane-1,2,3,4,5-pentayl pentaacetate CCDC 1913865: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination, 2019, DOI: 10.5517/ccdc.csd.cc227jlg
- Rudy L. Luck, Derek Horton, Olivier Marcq (2R,3R,4S,5S)-6,6-bis(ethylthio)hexane-1,2,3,4,5-pentayl pentaacetate CCDC 1913866: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination, 2019, DOI: 10.5517/ccdc.csd.cc227jmh
- Rudy L. Luck, Derek Horton, Olivier Marcq (2R,3S,4S,5S)-6,6-bis(ethylthio)hexane-1,2,3,4,5-pentayl pentaacetate CCDC 1937255: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination, 2019, DOI: 10.5517/ccdc.csd.cc230w34
- Rudy L. Luck, Derek Horton, Olivier Marcq (2R,3S,4S,5S)-6,6-bis(ethylthio)hexane-1,2,3,4,5-pentaol CCDC 1937683: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination, 2019, DOI: 10.5517/ccdc.csd.cc2319xd
- Chen, Z.; Luck, R. L. Oxidation of olefins using atmospheric oxygen atoms initiated by tert-butylhydroperoxide or hydrogen peroxide with silver nanoparticles deposited on MCM-41 as catalysts. Green Chem. 2016, 18, 3354-3359.
- Maass, J. S.; Chen, Z.; Zeller, M.; Luck, R. L. Syntheses and characterization of the vanadium trimer (V3(μ3-O)O2)(μ2-O2P(CH2C6H5)2)6(4,4'-bipyridine) and the vanadium hexamer [(V3(μ3-O)O2)(μ2-O2P(CH2C6H5)2)6]2(μ2-N1,N2-di(pyridin-4-yl)oxalamide). J. Coord. Chem. 2016, 69, 2342-2352.
- Chen, T.-H.; Zhang, S.; Jaishi, M.; Adhikari, R.; Bi, J.; Fang, M.; Xia, S.; Zhang, Y.; Luck, R. L.; Pati, R.; Hsien-Ming, L.; Luo, F.-T.; Tiwari, A.; Liu, H. New Near-Infrared Fluorescent Probes with Single-Photon Anti-Stokes-Shift Fluorescence for Sensitive Determination of pH Variances in Lysosomes with a Double-Checked Capability. ACS Appl. Bio Mater. 2018, 1, 549-560.
- Maass, J. S.; Wilharm, R. K.; Luck, R. L.; Zeller, M. Photoluminescent properties of three lanthanide compounds of formulae LnCl3(diphenyl((5-phenyl-1H-pyrazol-3-yl)methyl)phosphine oxide)2, Ln = Sm, Eu and Tb: X-ray structural, emission and vibrational spectroscopies, DFT and thermogravimetric studies. Inorganic Chim. Acta 2018, 471, 481-492.
- Zhang, Y.; Bi, J.; Xia, S.; Mazi, W.; Wan, S.; Mikesell, L.; Luck, R. L.; Liu, H. A near-infrared fluorescent probe based on a FRET rhodamine donor linked to a cyanine acceptor for sensitive detection of intracellular pH alternations. Molecules 2018, 23, 2679/2671-2679/2615.
- Zhang, Y.; Xia, S.; Fang, M.; Mazi, W.; Zeng, Y.; Johnston, T.; Pap, A.; Luck, R. L.; Liu, H. New near-infrared rhodamine dyes with large Stokes shifts for sensitive sensing of intracellular pH changes and fluctuations. Chem. Commun. (Cambridge, U. K.) 2018, 54, 7625-7628.
- Fang, M.; Xia, S.; Bi, J.; Wigstrom, T. P.; Valenzano, L.; Wang, J.; Tanasova, M.; Luck, R. L.; Liu, H. Detecting Zn(II) ions in live cells with near-infrared fluorescent probes. Molecules 2019, 24, 1592.
- Wang, J.; Xia, S.; Bi, J.; Zhang, Y.; Fang, M.; Luck, R. L.; Zeng, Y.; Chen, T.-H.; Lee, H.-M.; Liu, H. Near-infrared fluorescent probes based on TBET and FRET rhodamine acceptors with different pKa values for sensitive ratiometric visualization of pH changes in live cells. J. Mater. Chem. B 2019, 7, 198-209.
- Xia, S.; Fang, M.; Wang, J.; Bi, J.; Mazi, W.; Zhang, Y.; Luck, R. L.; Liu, H. Near-infrared fluorescent probes with BODIPY donors and rhodamine and merocyanine acceptors for ratiometric determination of lysosomal pH variance. Sens. Actuators, B 2019, 294, 1-13.
- Xia, S.; Zhang, Y.; Fang, M.; Mikesell, L.; Steenwinkel, T. E.; Wan, S.; Phillips, T.; Luck, R. L.; Werner, T.; Liu, H. A FRET-Based Near-Infrared Fluorescent Probe for Ratiometric Detection of Cysteine in Mitochondria. ChemBioChem 2019, Ahead of Print
- Pignotti, L. R.; Luck, R. L.; Urnezius, E. "Multimetallic compounds based on phosphine- and phosphoryl- appended p-hydroquinones: Unusual structural features and rich redox behavior" 2011, INOR-1023.
- Pignotti, L. R.; Luck, R. L.; Johnson, K. E.; Urnezius, E. "Bimetallic and multimetallic compounds based on phosphine- and phosphoryl- appended p-hydroquinones: Structural, electrochemical and computational investigations" 2011, NORM-172.
- Luck, R. L.; Maass, J. S.; Zeller, M. "Distorted cubic, almost flat tetramers and trimers from the stabilization of molybdenum and vanadium oxides with dialkyl phosphonates" 2011, INOR-449.
- Urnezius, E.; Pignotti, L. R.; Luck, K. A.; Luck, R. L. "4,5-Dibromoveratrole as a versatile synthetic platform: Syntheses of frustrated Lewis pairs and of redox-active metalloligands" 2010, INOR-799.
- Pignotti, L. R.; Luck, R. L.; Urnezius, E. "Bimetallic nickel complexes based on phosphine appended p-hydroquinone show rich electrochemistry" 2010, INOR-969.
- Feng, L.; Luck, R. L.; Maass, J. S. "Syntheses, properties and olefin epoxidation reactivities of "Mo-4O8" clusters stabilized by phosphinate ligands" 2010, INOR-910.