Gary A. Campbell
- Academic Office Building 122
- Professor of Natural Resource Economics, School of Business and Economics
- Director of MS in Applied Natural Resource Economics
- Affiliate Professor, Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences
- Ph.D. in Mineral Economics, The Pennsylvania State University
- MS in Economics, Iowa State University
- BS in Economics, Missouri University of Science and Technology
Gary Campbell began teaching in the School of Business and Economics at Michigan Tech in 1982. He helped establish the MS in Mineral Economics Program (currently named Applied Natural Resource Economics) which admitted its first students in 1983.
He is currently acting as the coordinator of that MS program and the associated Peace Corps Master’s International program. Gary Campbell is also the editor of the journal, Resources Policy.
Minerals are a necessity for society, but they come with a number of concerns and problems. Gary Campbell's research looks at the economic behavior of mineral markets and the social issues of mineral extraction. Recent research has focused on the markets for rare earths and copper and at the social conflicts over opening and operating mines.
- Natural Resource Economics
- Principles of Economics
- International Economics
- Metal markets
- Sustainability of mining
- Social decision-making about resource use
- Campbell, G. A. (2014). Linda Wärell, "Rare Earth Metals: A Strategic Concern" in Mineral Economics (vol. 27, 1 #, pp. 21-31) , Springer.
- Campbell, G. A., Roberts, M. C. (2010). Philip Maxwell (Ed.), "Permitting a New Mine: Insights from the Community Debate," Resources Policy (vol. 35, # 3, pp. 210-217) . Amsterdam: Elsevier. Read More
- Campbell, G. A., Walck, C. L., Hartingh, A. (2010). "Conflict over the Sustainability of Copper Mining: Experiences from MI & WI," Proceedings-Copper 2010 (1, pp. 351-364) . Hamburg: GDMB.
- Campbell, G. A., Walck, C. L. (2008). "The Debate over the Impact of Mining on the Environment and Sustainability in the Local Community," (ed., pp. 1-6). Littleton, Colorado: Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration.
- Campbell, G. A. (2008). Robert F. Gormon (Ed.), April 5, 1979: Carter Orders Deregulation of Oil Prices, (pp. 1122-1124). Pasadena, CA: Great Events from History: The Twentieth Century, 1971-2000/Salem Press.
- Hutchins, M. J., Walck, C. L., Sterk, D. P., Campbell, G. A. (2007). Walck, C. L. (Ed.), "Corporate Social Responsibility - A Unifying Discourse for the Mining Industry," (52nd ed., pp. 17-30). Greener Management International: The Journal of Corporate Environmental Management and Strategy.
- Blake, A., Campbell, G. A. (2007). Campbell, G. A., Brown, E. D. (Ed.), "Conflict over flying fish: The dispute between Trinidad & Tobago and Barbados," (3rd ed., vol. 31, pp. pp. 327-335). Elsevier: Marine Policy.
- Campbell, G. A. (2007). Spooner, J., e. (Ed.), "Macro trends in Copper Consumption," (vol. I, pp. 487-500). Montreal, Quebec/MetSoc: Proceedings of the Sixth International Copper-Cobre Conference.
- Campbell, G. A. (2007). Gorman, R. F. (Ed.), "Oil is discovered in Nigeria," (pp. 1629-1631). Pasadena, CA: Great Events from History: The Twentieth Century, 1941-1970.
- Campbell, G. A. (2007). Campbell, G. A., Gorman, R. (Ed.), "Commercial Quantities of Oil Discovered in Saudi Arabia," (pp. 3096-3098). Pasadena, CA: Great Events from History: The Twentieth Century, 1901-1940/Salem Press.