Founded in 1972, Michigan Technological University’s Summer Youth Programs (SYP) offers
middle and high school students opportunities for hands-on learning and career exploration
in a wide-variety of fields and to experience college life in a fun, engaging, and
safe setting. We aspire to spark curiosity, discovery, and critical soft skill development
in exceptional young people from around the world.
The SYP Visiting Instructor Program is now accepting proposals from educators to design and deliver a week-long course during Summer Youth Programs 2023. Click Here to download the RFP as a PDF or view details below.
Application deadline has been extended to December 1, 2022. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Compensation & Benefits
Selected Visiting Instructors will receive:
- Salary of $725.00
- Up to $350 reimbursement for travel costs to and from Michigan Tech’s campus*
- On-campus lodging and meal plan**
- A scholarship for a student from their school to attend an SYP course of their choice***
Proposals for courses should meet the following criteria:
Consist of 31.5 contact hours with students
○ Daily schedule is 9 a.m.-noon, 1:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
Courses should prioritize hands-on activities and showcase related careers
○ A budget of $400 will be allocated for course supplies and activities
○ Day trips to local places of relevancy, campus facilities, etc. are encouraged
Accommodate 15 middle school students (Grades 6-8) or 20 high school students (Grades 9-11) with varying levels of background knowledge of course content
○ A teaching assistant may be available (with your assistance in selection) for courses whose enrollment reaches or exceeds 12 participants
Educators chosen as Visiting Instructors are expected to:
- Submit all required course materials according to program deadlines
- Consent to and pass a background check
- Satisfy all required Summer Youth Programs Instructor and minors-related program trainings (approximately 3 hours) and code of conduct requirements
- Develop a course itinerary fulfilling all 31.5 contact hours according to the daily schedule
- Participate in Monday morning and Friday morning instructor meetings during the week the course is taught
- Submit necessary follow-up on course
To apply, please send a proposal which includes the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter describing your interest in being selected for this opportunity
- Professional Resume
- Letter of Recommendation from another educator or school administrator
- Course title and a 250-word description of proposed content
- The target age level for your course (middle or high school)
- General outline of course itinerary (Example course itinerary)
- 3-4 student learning outcomes
- Your scheduling preference for 2023 course dates:
- Week 1: June 18-24
- Week 2: June 25-July 1
- Week 3: July 9-15
- Week 4: July 16-22
- Week 5: July 23-29
Up to two courses may be proposed per educator. If proposing more than one course, please combine both proposals into one deliverable.
Visiting Instructor Program Timeline
Proposals are due to the Center for Educational Outreach no later than 5 p.m. EST on Thursday, December 1, 2022
Proposal selections will be announced no later than December 18, 2022
Instructor Trainings will take place online late May/early June 2023
Detailed itinerary, course budget, and supplies list will be due one month prior to the start of the course
Course will take place during SYP 2023 program dates
○ Upon selection into the Visiting Instructor Program, your hiring is contingent upon student enrollments. Summer Youth Program courses will only run if at least 10 students are enrolled in the program one month prior to the start of the course.
*Travel reimbursement and lodging will be provided for educators located 30+ miles from Michigan Tech’s campus. Receipts for travel should be submitted to the Center for Educational Outreach for reimbursement.
**All educators will be provided lunch each day. If off-campus lodging is preferred,
a stipend of $375 will be provided. Unfortunately, we cannot assist with securing
***Scholarships will only be available for Summer Youth Programs 2023 tuition-based courses with seats remaining at the time of application.