What Can I Do?
The Summer Youth Programs provide numerous opportunities to become part of the team. We hire a large number of seasonal staff in a wide variety of roles from live-in counselors to classroom instructors.
No matter the role, we are looking for outstanding individuals who bring awesome experiences and fresh perspectives to the table. Applicants should be positive, enthusiastic, innovative, and student-focused. We offer a flexible schedule in a casual, fun work environment, and provide valuable professional development experiences.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Student Coordinator Position - Hiring Now!
We are currently looking to hire several student coordinators within the Center for
Educational Outreach. This position is required to work around 10 hours during the
academic year and full-time during Summer Youth Programs. If you are interested in
applying, please complete the application below and submit with your current resume.
(This position is also posted in Handshake for Michigan Tech students.)
Student Coordinator Application
SYP Student Staff
If you're a Michigan Tech student looking for a Summer Youth Programs position that lets you channel your creativity, innovation, enthusiasm, and team spirit, all in a professional environment, we have just the job for you! All student majors and levels are welcome.
We are currently planning for our 2021 Summer Youth Programs and will be hosting virtual info-sessions and begin interviewing staff this November and again in January. See below for available position descriptions and a hiring timeline. To apply please review our info-session video or PDF below, complete and submit your SYP Staff application with your resume, and schedule your interview below.
SYP 2021 Employment Info-Session
Please download, complete, and submit the SYP Staff Application. Then, set up your interview by clicking on the black button below and progress to the calendar to 12/2-12/4/2020. Select an interview slot that works for your schedule and we will send you the details for your virtual interview!
If you have questions you can contact us at 906-487-2219 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Staff Job Descriptions
November SYP Staff Hiring: (SYP Alumni, returning staff and new staff welcome)
- Info session will be held virtually on Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 6 p.m.
- Applications are due by 11/30/20 and interviews should be scheduled for 12/2 - 12/4/20.
- Hire letters will be sent out on December 20, 2020 and due back January 15, 2021.
January SYP Staff Hiring: (SYP Alumni, returning staff and new staff welcome)
- Info sessions will be held virtually on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 6 p.m.
- Applications are due by 2/8/21 and interviews should be scheduled for 2/10 - 2/12/21.
- Hire letters will be sent out on Friday, February 26, 2021 and are due back March 19, 2021.
- If it is past these dates, please email email@example.com to see if there are any open staff positions available.
Course Instructors and Teaching Assistants
Most of our SYP explorations are taught by Michigan Tech faculty, staff, graduate, and upper-level undergraduate students. The Center for Educational Outreach directly hires some instructors - others are hired by the host departments based on their own criteria. We are happy to facilitate connections between interested instructors and the responsible departments as needed.
Our explorations are designed to be fun (it is summer, after all!), but intellectually challenging, introducing students to material in the field you are covering. Your class should be a mix of classroom time, field trips, and labs. Everything should be very hands-on for the students, with lectures kept to a minimum.
Instructional Time Overview
- Class time: Monday–Friday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Lunch from noon–1:15 p.m.)
- 31.25 contact hours per week to cover all material
- Generally, 25 or fewer participants per exploration
- Instructors with more than 10 students may also have a teaching assistant
If you are interested in applying to be an instructor, please take a look at our exploration descriptions to choose what areas you are most interested in and qualified to teach.
How to Apply
If you are interested in instructing an SYP class, you will need to complete several items:
- Instructor Application
- Letter of Recommendation (details within the application)
- Most-recent resume or CV.
All materials and questions should be directed to the Center for Educational Outreach:
- Phone: 906-487-2219
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: 217 Administration Building
Once all materials are received by the CEO, we will reach out to you to schedule an interview.
"I'll remember how funny the counselors were. I truly felt like they understood us and really cared. They were also very understanding and helpful in telling me about other opportunities I may be interested in."