What Can I Do?
The Summer Youth Programs provide numerous opportunities to become part of the team. We hire a large number of seasonal staff in a wide variety of roles from live-in counselors to classroom instructors.
No matter the role, we are looking for outstanding individuals who bring awesome experiences and fresh perspectives to the table. Applicants should be positive, enthusiastic, innovative, and student-focused. We offer a flexible schedule in a casual, fun work environment, and provide valuable professional development experiences.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
SYP Student Staff - still Hiring!
If you are looking for a Summer Youth Programs position that lets you channel your creativity, innovation, enthusiasm, and team spirit, all in a professional environment, we have just the job for you! All student majors and levels are welcome.
We are currently planning for our 2021 Summer Youth Programs to run in person and
have been interviewing staff on a rolling basis, as they apply. See below for position
descriptions. To apply please review our info-session video or PDF below and complete
and submit your SYP Staff application with your resume. We will follow up with you
to schedule your interview soon!
Still hiring for Residence Counselors, Day Counselors, Photographer and Weekend Counselor positions.
SYP 2021 Employment Info-Session
Please download, complete, and submit the SYP Staff Application (along with your resume) to firstname.lastname@example.org. One of our staff members will then contact you to schedule your virtual interview.
If you have questions you can contact us at 906-487-2219 or email email@example.com to learn more.
Staff Job Descriptions
November SYP Staff Hiring: (SYP Alumni, returning staff and new staff welcome)
- Info session will be held virtually on Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 6 p.m.
- Applications are due by 11/30/20 and interviews should be scheduled for 12/2 - 12/4/20.
- Hire letters will be sent out on December 20, 2020 and due back January 15, 2021.
January and later SYP Staff Hiring: (SYP Alumni, returning staff and new staff welcome)
- Application & resume's can be submitted anytime to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are now open for hiring on a rolling basis. We will follow up to schedule a virtual interview.
- Hire letters will be sent out following interviews and are due back within 2 weeks.
- If it is past April 10, 2021 please email email@example.com to see if there are any open staff positions available.
Course Instructors and Teaching Assistants
Most of our SYP explorations are taught by Michigan Tech faculty, staff, graduate, and upper-level undergraduate students. The Center for Educational Outreach directly hires some instructors - others are hired by the host departments based on their own criteria. We are happy to facilitate connections between interested instructors and the responsible departments as needed.
Our explorations are designed to be fun (it is summer, after all!), but intellectually challenging, introducing students to material in the field you are covering. Your class should be a mix of classroom time, field trips, and labs. Everything should be very hands-on for the students, with lectures kept to a minimum.
Instructional Time Overview
- Class time: Monday–Friday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Lunch from noon–1:15 p.m.)
- 31.25 contact hours per week to cover all material
- Generally, 25 or fewer participants per exploration
- Instructors with more than 10 students may also have a teaching assistant
If you are interested in applying to be an instructor, please take a look at our exploration descriptions to choose what areas you are most interested in and qualified to teach.
How to Apply
If you are interested in instructing an SYP class, you will need to complete several items:
- Instructor Application
- Letter of Recommendation (details within the application)
- Most-recent resume or CV.
All materials and questions should be directed to the Center for Educational Outreach:
- Phone: 906-487-2219
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: 217 Administration Building
Once all materials are received by the CEO, we will reach out to you to schedule an interview.
"I'll remember how funny the counselors were. I truly felt like they understood us and really cared. They were also very understanding and helpful in telling me about other opportunities I may be interested in."