What Can I Do?
The SYP office provides numerous opportunities to become part of the team. We hire a large number of seasonal staff in a wide variety of roles from live-in counselor staff to classroom instructors.
No matter the role, we are looking for outstanding individuals who bring awesome experiences and fresh perspectives to the table. Applicants should be positive, enthusiastic, innovative, and student-focused. We offer a flexible schedule in a casual, fun work environment, and provide valuable professional development experiences.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you're a Michigan Tech student looking for a Summer Youth Programs position that lets you channel your creativity, innovation, enthusiasm, and team spirit, all in a professional environment, we have just the job for you! All majors and levels are welcome.
At this time our 2020 Summer Youth Programs have been cancelled and we look forward to planning for 2021. If you have questions you can contact us at 906-487-2219 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Staff Job Descriptions
For SYP returning staff and SYP alumni:
- Hire letters will be sent out on December 20, 2019 and due back January 15, 2020.
For new SYP staff:
- Info sessions will be held on January 22, 2020 and January 23, 2020 in the MUB Alumni Lounge from 6-7 p.m.
- Interviews will be scheduled for February 12-14, 2020.
- Hire letters will be sent out on February 25 and are due back March 18, 2020.
- If it is past these dates, please email email@example.com to see if there are any open staff positions available.
Course Instructors and Teaching Assistants
Most of our SYP explorations are taught by Michigan Tech faculty, staff, graduate, and upper-level undergraduate students. The Center for Educational Outreach directly hires instructors for some fields - others are hired by the host departments based on their own criteria. We are happy to facilitate connections between interested instructors and the responsible departments as needed.
Our explorations are designed to be fun (it is summer, after all!), but intellectually challenging, introducing students to material in the field you are covering. Your class should be a mix of classroom time, field trips, and labs. Everything should be very hands-on for the students, with lectures kept to a minimum.
Instructional Time Overview
- Class time: Monday–Friday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Lunch from noon–1:15 p.m.)
- 31.25 contact hours per week to cover all material
- Generally, 25 or fewer participants per exploration
- Instructors with more than 10 students may also have a teaching assistant
If you are interested in applying to be an instructor, please take a look at our exploration descriptions to choose what areas you are most interested in and qualified to teach.
How to Apply
If you are interested in instructing an SYP class, you will need to complete several items:
- Instructor Application- Request this by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letter of Recommendation (details within the application)
- Most-recent resume or CV.
All materials and questions should be directed to the Center for Educational Outreach:
- Phone: 906-487-2219
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: 217 Administration Building
Once all materials are received by the CPCO, we will reach out to you to schedule an interview.
"I'll remember how funny the counselors were. I truly felt like they understood us and really cared. They were also very understanding and helpful in telling me about other opportunities I may be interested in."
Student Coordinator Position
If you would like to apply for a student coordinator position within the Center for
Educational Outreach, please complete the application below and submit with your current
resume. This position is around 10 hours during the academic year and full-time during
Summer Youth Programs.
Student Coordinator Application
If you have questions you can contact us at 906-487-2219 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.