- Assistant Professor, Environmental and Energy Policy
- PhD, Public Policy, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2016
- MS, Public Policy, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2012
- MS, Environmental Sciences, Policy and Management, European Commission Erasmus Mundus Program (MESPOM), 2009
- BS, Environmental Sciences, Beijing Normal University, 2007
My research focuses on policy analysis and social equity issues related to sustainability, resilient technology, and urban development. I am particularly interested in the policy fields of smart grids, renewable energy, environment, and climate change. My investigation of these topics integrates technological penetration datasets with market pricing data, political and governance data, and demographic data using statistical methods, case studies, and geospatial analysis tools.
Environmental and Energy Policy
- Environmental and Energy Policy
- Sustainable Development
- Infrastructure and Resilience
- Social Equity
- Urban and Local Sustainability
- Policy Processes
- Policy Analysis
Lu, H., Mayer, A. L., Wellstead, A. M., & Zhou, S.(2019). Can the dual identity of policy entrepreneur and policy implementer promote successful policy adoption? Vertical greening policymaking in Shanghai, China. Journal of Asian Public Policy, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1080/17516234.2019.1631241.
Zhou, S. and Noonan, D. (2019). “Justice Implications of Clean Energy Policies and Programs in the United States: A Theoretical and Empirical Exploration”. Sustainability, 11(3), 807.
Zhou, S., Matisoff, D., Kingsley, G., and Brown, M. (2019). “Understanding Renewable Energy Policy Adoption and Evolution in Europe: The Impact of Coercion, Normative Emulation, Competition, and Learning”. Energy Research & Social Science, 51, 1-11.
Brown M., Zhou S. and Ahmadi M. (2018). “Smart Grid Governance: An International Review of Evolving Policy Issues and Innovations”. WIREs Energy Environ 7(5): e290.
Noonan, D., Zhou, S. and Kirkman, R. (2017). “Making Smart and Sustainable Infrastructure Projects Viable: Private Choices, Public Support, and System Constraints”. Urban Planning 2(3): 18-32.
Zhou, S. and Brown, M. (2017). “Smart Meter Deployment in Europe: A Comparative Case Study on the Impacts of National Policy Schemes”. Journal of Cleaner Production 144: 22-32.
Zhou, S. and Matisoff, D. C. (2016). “Advanced Metering Infrastructure Deployment in the United States: The Impact of Polycentric Governance and Contextual Changes”. Review of Policy Research 33(6): 646-665.
Brown, M. and Zhou, S. (2013). “Smart-grid Policies: An International Review”. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment 2(2): 121-139.
- Understanding Utility Grid Modernization Efforts in the United States: Policy Impact on the Use and Integration of Clean Energy Technologies
- Does Renewable Portfolio Standard Hinder Renewable Energy Development beyond the Standard?
- Accessing Urban Green Space and Environmental Facilities: Empirical Evidence from China
- Why do Schools Go Green? – Assessing State and Local Policy Effectiveness on Green School Building Infrastructure