Welcome to the Department of Mathematical Sciences at Michigan Technological University! Mathematics and Statistics are of ever-increasing importance in science, technology, data analysis, and even popular culture, and the department plays a central role in the education and research at Michigan Tech. The department offers BS in Mathematics with options in Actuarial Science, Applied and Computational Mathematics, Business Analytics, Discrete Mathematics, Education Preparation, General Mathematics, BS in Statistics, BS in Mathematics and Computer Science, MS in Mathematics, MS in Statistics, MS in applied Statistics (online), PhD in Mathematics, and PhD in Statistics.
Here are some of our highlights:
- Ray Molzon was promoted to Associate Teaching Professor.
- Dr. Xiao Zhang is the PI of a new research grant from NIH and Dr. Jiguang Sun is the PI of a new research grant from NSF.
- Kathleen Burke was named Exceptional Staff Member award and Dr. Robert Schneider was named Exceptional Graduate Mentor in Spring 2023.
- Welcome Patrick McFall, new Assistant Teaching Professor.
- Welcome Xiaoqing Gao, new Assistant Teaching Professor.
- Tim Wagner received the 2023 CTL Instructional Award for Large Class Teaching.
- Our recent PhD students have excellent placements such as PostDoc at Columbia University, Ass. Prof. at Michigan State University and Clinical ML/AI Reviewer at FDA.
Whether you are a prospective student looking for a degree program or a prospective faculty member looking for a department that supports high-quality teaching and cutting-edge research, I hope you will browse our webpages and find the information you seek. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Chair & Professor