Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Students who are in F-1 status and have been enrolled full-time at Michigan Tech for at least one full academic year in the current degree program are eligible for Curricular Practical Training. CPT is available only prior to the completion of your degree program and you must have a job offer at the time of application. CPT employment may not delay completion of the academic program. CPT can be done during the regular academic year or during the summer or winter break. Students must reapply for CPT employment authorization each semester (even if there are no changes ot employment). .

  • F-1 students pursuing a degree at MTU who have completed at least one academic year (9 credits for graduate students or 12 credits for undergraduate students two consecutive semesters: fall, spring or summer) and who have maintained their F-1 status are eligible to apply for CPT. 
  • CPT must be in your major area of studies.
  • CPT can be part-time (20 or fewer hours per week) or full-time (more than 20 hours per week).
  • Twelve months (365 days) of full-time CPT will make you ineligible for OPT. Limit your total full-time CPT to 364 days if you want OPT!
  • You must be registered full-time in co-op credits to be on CPT (undergrads, 2 co-op credits; grad students, 1 co-op credit). The Career Center manages both graduate and undergraduate co-op registration.
  • You may only work during the dates listed on your I-20. If your employment is extended, you are required to get authorization and a new I-20 from IPS.
  • You must maintain health insurance coverage while you are on CPT, including summer.
  • You must apply for a Social Security Number in order to be paid from a U.S. employer.
  • Your CPT I-20 is valid only for the employer for whom it was issued. You may not change employers without obtaining a new I-20.
  • If your employer’s address changes, or if your CPT is terminated by you or the employer before the ending date of the CPT, you must notify IPS so that we can update your SEVIS record.

How to Apply for CPT:

  1. Receive an employment offer letter from your employer on company letterhead. The letter must include the following:
    1. Student name
    2. Employer's company name
    3. Company's complete address
    4. Co-op start and end dates
    5. Number of hours of work each week
    6. Brief description of the work
  2. Complete and return the  co-op application form along with your job offer letter to the Career Services Office.
  3. Once IPS receives approval for co-op you will receive a new I-20 listing your employer name, address and start and end date.
  4. Please allow up to 2 weeks for processing.

You must not begin employment prior to receiving employment authorization. Working off-campus without authorization is a very serious violation of your F-1 status.