The vision and mission of the Michigan Space Grant Consortium (MSGC) are to foster awareness of, education in, and research on space and Earth-related science and technology in Michigan. Its mission is to create, develop, and promote programs that support its vision and reflect NASA strategic interests, and encourage cooperation between academia, industry, state and local government in space-related science and technology in Michigan.
The MSGC Grant and Fellowship Programs are regionally competitive, among 11 Universities in Michigan. Space Grant offers fellowship programs for graduate and undergraduate students, as well as research seed grants and program grants for faculty. The Consortium offers a total of $100,000 of support for undergraduate and graduate research fellowships, $50,000 for Research Seed Grants, and $100,000 for Public Service Grants in aerospace, space science, Earth system science, and other related science, engineering, or mathematical fields. Fellows and Grantees are encouraged to participate in the annual fall conference in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Applications must first be submitted to Michigan Tech for approval before being sent to MSGC.
- Undergraduate and graduate student fellowship applications: Wednesday, November 4, by noon
- All other submissions: Friday, October 30, by noon
Final materials, reviewed and approved by SPO, must be uploaded to MSGC by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, November 11.
Applications submitted without conforming to the internal process will be withdrawn from MSGC consideration.
- Required: Contact Sponsored Programs (SPO) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (906-487-2226). You will be assigned a SPO analyst who will provide assistance on creating a budget and completion of other required forms depending on the funding opportunity for which you are applying.
- Review the MSGC guidelines and complete the online application. Do not submit your application to MSGC until you receive approval from SPO that your proposal is ready for submission (see step 4).
- Electronically deliver ALL documents required for your program submission as listed
on the MSGC website as well as MTU-specific forms (to include transmittal form, budget,
transcripts, cost share form, project description and printout of your unsubmitted MSGC application) to Paige Hackney in the Pavlis Honors College no later than noon on deadline day. That's Friday, October 30 for research seed grants and public service grants, or Wednesday, November 4 for undergraduate and graduate research fellowships.
Modified Submission Process for 2020
In a normal year, a part of the submission process requires that you physically bring a hard copy of your completed proposal packet to Paige Hackney by the stated internal deadline. As we all know, this is not a normal year and, because of required social distancing restrictions coupled with the fact that many of us are working remotely, proposal packet submissions should be submitted electronically this year to email@example.com.
Electronic submission details are as follows:
- Materials to include: Contact Paige Hackney at firstname.lastname@example.org or 906-487-4371 for a list of the order in which documents should be scanned as the required documentation varies depending on the type of MSGC submission
- Quality of acceptable scans: High resolution to enable the production of clear and highly legible copies.
- How to scan: As one continuous document (no blank pages). Not as separate files.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Paige Hackney at email@example.com or 906-487-4371. Best of luck on your submission.
- The Pavlis Honors College will deliver your application and all supporting materials to SPO for final review. After the final review of your materials is complete, you will receive an email that your application has been approved for submission. This final email will provide permission and directions for uploading your application packet to MSGC which must be done before 5 p.m. on Wednesday, November 11.
Applications submitted without conforming to the above internal process will be withdrawn from MSGC consideration.
Application & Review Process
The MSGC-specific application and review processes are available online. MSGC Awards will be announced in early spring of 2021.