Tax Information for Faculty and Staff

Compensation for Services

W-2 forms, issued by Jan. 31, summarize all income, deductions, and taxes withheld information.

Prizes and Awards

  • All prizes and awards are taxable to the recipient.
  • Cash gifts, prizes, and awards given to employees, including students, that are paid for by University funds will be considered gross wages. These amounts will be added to the employee’s W-2 and will be subject to federal, state, and FICA taxes.
  • Non-cash gifts, prizes, and awards given to employees are subject to tax unless these items of recognition qualify as a
    • "de minimis" fringe benefit,
    • length of service award,
    • safety achievement award, or
    • retirement gift.
  • Financial support to participate in non-credit events will be taxable to the recipient.

Employee Education Program

  • The amount paid on the employee’s behalf is not taxable.
  • Graduate expenses for the employee, up to $5,250, are tax free. Any expense above this limit is added to the employee's W-2 Form as additional taxable compensation.

TRIP Benefit

  • Spouses and dependents of eligible employees who meet the program requirements are eligible for a 75 percent reduction in tuition for University degree programs.
  • Nontaxable for undergraduate students
  • Graduate expenses are fully taxable to employee

Moving/Relocation Reimbursements

  • Reimbursement of moving (relocation) expenses are considered a taxable benefit.
  • Standard rates for moving expense purposes are available on the IRS Standard Mileage Rate table.
  • These taxable reimbursements will be added to the new employee’s W-2 Form, and applicable taxes will be withheld.
  • For additional information, contact the travel department or payroll.

Retirement Information

For additional information on these topics, contact the Benefits and/or Payroll departments.

IRS Publications

Search for Federal Tax Forms / Instructions