Job Description Summary
Michigan Technological University and the Department of Applied Computing invite applications for a tenure track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Applicants with the education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and accomplishments commensurate with a higher rank may be considered for an appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor.
Michigan Tech attracts world-class faculty who enrich the educational experience of smart, motivated, and adventurous students. Applicants who are committed to promoting a sense of belonging and contributing to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning environment for all are strongly encouraged to apply (https://www.mtu.edu/diversity-inclusion/).
The successful candidate should have an earned doctorate in a computing or related discipline at the time of employment. Teaching and research areas of interest include one or more of the following: cybersecurity, health informatics, digital forensics, risk management, biomedical data science, computer networking, Internet of Things, privacy and security in healthcare, and related areas.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
- Contribute in a meaningful way to the mission of Michigan Tech’s College of Computing: To advance the transformational promise of computing in the service of society through excellence in teaching, research, and outreach.
- Develop a vigorous externally funded research program in areas of interest while fostering internal and external collaborations.
- Engage in undergraduate and graduate teaching while maintaining a high level of student engagement.
- Participate in department, college, university, and professional service activities.
- Integrate safety practices into daily activities and commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
Earned doctorate in a computing discipline such as computer science, computer engineering, computational science and engineering, cybersecurity, health informatics, data science, or similar fields at the time of employment.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
- Research activity leading to the publication of scholarly work in venues appropriate to the field of study.
- Experience with external funding resources and opportunities utilized by U.S. academic institutions, e.g., NSF, NIH, DoD, AMA, and others.
- Desirable Education and/or Experience
- Teaching experience in an institution of higher education.
- Industrial experience in areas of expertise.
- Service activities at higher education institutes or professional organizations such as ACM, IEEE, AMIA, and others.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
- Demonstrated commitment to undergraduate and graduate teaching and student success.
- Ability to develop and successfully complete research projects in a collaborative environment.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills to a diverse audience.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to design and deliver an academic course in areas of expertise, in both on-campus and online formats.
- Ability to lead and manage a research team, including graduate students, undergraduate students, research staff, and other faculty.
- Demonstrated support for diversity and inclusiveness.
This job is scheduled to begin in Fall 2023. For full consideration, complete application packages should be received by January 10, 2023; however, applications will be considered until the position is filled. To apply, visit https://www.employment.mtu.edu/cw/en-us/job/493057.
Applicants will need to upload a cover letter, curriculum vitae or resume, a statement of research interests, a statement of teaching experience and interests, and a statement of diversity that describes how their past and/or potential actions support a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and a sense of belonging where all members of a campus community can excel. Applicants will be asked to provide the names and contact information of three professional/academic reference providers as part of the application process.
The Department of Applied Computing was launched in 2020, and is one of two academic departments in the College of Computing at Michigan Tech, which was launched in 2019. Areas of teaching and research in the department include cybersecurity, computer network and system administration, health informatics, data science, electrical engineering technology, and mechatronics. For more information about the department see https://www.mtu.edu/applied-computing/
Michigan Tech is an internationally renowned doctoral research university located in Houghton, Michigan, in the scenic Upper Peninsula on the south shore of Lake Superior. The area provides a unique setting where natural beauty, culture, education, and a diversity of residents from around the world come together to share a superb living and learning experience.
Michigan Tech recognizes the importance of supporting faculty members’ partners; candidates selected for on-campus interviews will be invited to bring a guest. Additional details on our Partner Engagement Program can be found at https://www.mtu.edu/provost/programs/partner-engagement/.
Michigan Tech is proud to be an ADVANCE Institution that has three times received National Science Foundation support to increase diversity, inclusion, and the participation and advancement of women and underrepresented individuals in STEM.
Michigan Tech is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.