Student Affairs plays a significant role in preparing Michigan Tech graduates to make a difference in our world. We seek direction from our mission, vision, and values to provide innovative student-centered activities, programs and services; promote civic engagement and responsibility; and develop strong leadership and team-building capabilities, critical thinking, and ethical awareness.
We prepare students to create the future and we make their success our highest priority.
Create Possibilities. Inspire Learning. Exceed Expectations.
- Create Pride and Affinity
- Foster Student Success
- Cultivate a Culture of Philanthropy
- Provide the Michigan Tech Experience
The success of Michigan Tech students is the most important measure of our progress. Given this, we are committed to inspiring:
- An engaged community that actively seeks improvement through acceptance and understanding.
- Students to achieve world-class scholarship through academics, research, and continued learning.
- The exploration and creation of all possibilities through innovative use of their skills and knowledge.
- Individuals to hold themselves accountable, and to act with integrity, honesty, and diligence.
- The tenacity required to make ethical choices and to persevere through all obstacles.
- The leadership needed for all individuals to boldly push everyday boundaries while serving others.
Our Learning Goals
Students who use services and/or participate in programs, initiatives and employment through Students Affairs will develop individual and professional skills to be successful at Michigan Tech and beyond. Students will develop:
GOAL 1: PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL SKILLS
- 1A) Communication skills
- 1B) Critical thinking skills
- 1C) Conflict management
GOAL 2: KNOWLEDGE
- 2A) How to foster an effective team environment
- 2B) How and why creating an inclusive and respectful environment is important
- 2C) Why being a socially responsible and ethical citizen matters
- 2D) Why wellbeing is important
GOAL 3: SELF-AWARENESS
- 3A) Provide experiences that allow them to recognize how their identity and strengths provide the framework for their leadership style
- 3B) Demonstrate their responsibility and understanding for responsible and ethical choices
- 3C) Recognize the role mindset plays in success