General Information

Schedule Changes

Schedule changes made during the semester resulting in a change of enrollment status must be reported to the VA Certifying Official, as this may create an over/underpayment situation.

If you are a Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill ®) recipient, all changes in schedule must be reported to the VA Certifying Official to ensure that the accurate amount of tuition and fees are paid to the University on your behalf.

Overpayment of Benefits

If the VA determines there has been an overpayment of benefits, they will require that the overpayment is paid back to them directly by the student. Possible reasons for overpayment are:

  • Dropping a course during the semester resulting in a change of enrollment status.
  • Chapter 33 scheduling changes resulting in overpayment of tuition and fees by the VA.
  • Receiving a grade of W (withdrawal).
  • Receiving a grade of F if determined to be resulting from non-attendance in the course.

W Grades

The VA will not give credit for a course that results in a grade of W. Receiving a W can lead to an overpayment situation at the end of the semester.

Repeating a Course

Courses required for your degree that must be repeated due to a failing grade may be certified through the VA. Courses that are successfully completed (receiving a grade of D or higher) may not be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated.

Filing Timelines

The Veterans Administration takes approximately 8 to 12 weeks to process your application. After your application has been submitted and processed, a check will be mailed to or deposited into your designated bank account. Future checks will arrive at the beginning of each month for the previous month. Questions concerning payment should be directed to the Veterans Administration at 1-888-442-4551.

Direct Deposit

Direct deposit is available for Post 9/11 GI Bill ®, MGIB-Active Duty, Selected Reserve and Chapter 35 recipients. For more information, please contact the VA Direct Deposit Center at 1-877-838-2778 or speak with an Education Case Manager at 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551). You can also visit the WAVE application website or EBENEFITS to sign up for direct deposit.

Address Changes

Address changes must be reported promptly to the VA and to Michigan Tech's Certifying Official. Address changes can be reported to the VA using a form 20-572 or by visiting the WAVE website. A delay in reporting a change may result in payment being sent to an incorrect address or a delay in payment.

Advance Payment

Advance payment provides funds to help you meet expenses associated with the start of the term. Advance payment is the amount payable for the initial month, or portion of a month the semester begins, plus the amount payable for the following month. To qualify for advance payment you cannot be collecting VA benefits the month prior to the semester you are requesting advance payment.


GI Bill ® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at