William H. Cooke
- Department Chair, Kinesiology and Integrative Physiology
- Professor, Kinesiology and Integrative Physiology
- PhD, Kinesiology/Exercise Physiology, Texas A&M University
- MA, Health and Human Performance, University of Houston
- BS, Health and Human Performance, University of Houston
- Autonomic Cardiovascular Control in Humans
- Orthostatic and Simulated Orthostatic Stress
- Traumatic Injury and Device Development
- Gonzalez JE and Cooke WH. The influence of an acute fast on ambulatory blood pressure and autonomic cardiovascular control. American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 322(6):R542-R550, 2022.
- Clemson PT, Hoag JB, Cooke WH, Eckberg DL, and Stefanovska A. Beyond the baroreflex: A new measure of autonomic regulation based on the time-frequency assessment of variability, phase coherence and couplings. Frontiers in Network Physiology. doi: 10.3389/fnetp.2022.891604, 2022.
- Gonzalez JE, Jewell SR, Stelly SP, and Cooke WH. Controlled breathing and autonomic rhythms: Influence of auditory versus visual cues. Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical. 236: 1-3, 2021.
- Gonzalez JE and Cooke WH. Acute effects of electronic cigarettes on arterial pressure and peripheral sympathetic activity in young nonsmokers. American Journal of Physiology Heart and Circulatory Physiology.320(1):H428-H255, 2021.
Eckberg DL, Cooke WH, Diedrich A, Biaggioni I, Buckey JC, Pawelczyk JA, Ertl AC, Cox JF, Kuusela TA, Tahvanainen KUO, Mano T, Iwase S, Adams-Huet B, Baisch FJ, Robertson D, Levine BD, and Blomqvist CG. Respiratory modulation of human autonomic function on Earth. Journal of Physiology (London). 594:5611-5627, 2016.
- Eckberg DL, Diedrich A, Cooke WH, Biaggioni I, Buckey JC, Pawelczyk JA, Ertl AC, Cox JF, Kuusela TA, Tahvanainen KUO, Mano T, Iwase S, Adams-Huet B, Baisch FJ, Robertson D, Levine BD, and Blomqvist CG. Respiratory modulation of human autonomic function. Long-term neuroplasticity in space. Journal of Physiology (London). 594:5629-5646, 2016.
- Cooke WH, Pokhrel A, Dowling C, Fogt DL, and Rickards CA. Acute inhalation of vaporized nicotine increases arterial pressure in young non-smokers: A pilot study. Clinical Autonomic Research. 25(4):267-270, 2015.
- Eckberg DL, Cooke WH, Diedrich A, Levine BD, Pawelczyk JA, Buckey JC, Ertl AC, Cox JF, Robertson D, Baisch FJ, Blomqvist CG, Kuusela TA, and Tahvanainen KUO. Human baroreflex rhythms persist during handgrip and muscle ischaemia. Acta Physiologica (Oxford, England). 209(2):114-123, 2013.
- Stankovski T, Cooke WH, Rudas L, Stefanovska A, and Eckberg DL. Voluntary ramped-frequency breathing: a powerful experimental tool to modulate and explore human autonomic and cardiovascular mechanisms. Journal of Applied Physiology. 115:1806-1821, 2013.
- Yang H, Cooke WH, Reed KS, and Carter JR. Sex differences in hemodynamic and sympathetic neural firing patterns during orthostatic challenge in humans. Journal of Applied Physiology. 112:1744-1751, 2012.
- Moralez G, Romero SA, Rickards CA, Ryan KL, Convertino VA, and Cooke WH. Effects of dehydration on cerebrovascular control during standing after heavy resistance exercise Journal of Applied Physiology. 112:1875-1883, 2012.
- Tzeng YC, Ainslie PN, Cooke WH, Peebles KC, Willie CK, MacRae BA, Smirl JD, Horsman HM, and Rickards CA. Assessment of cerebral autoregulation: the quandary of quantification. American Journal of Physiology Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 303:H658-H671, 2012.
- Romero SA, Moralez G, Rickards CA, Ryan KL, Fogt DL, Convertino VA, and Cooke WH. Control of cerebral blood velocity with furosemide-induced hypovolemia and upright tilt. Journal of Applied Physiology. 110(2):492-498, 2011.
- Rickards CA, Ryan KL, Cooke WH, and Convertino VA. Tolerance to central hypovolemia: the influence of oscillations in arterial pressure and cerebral blood velocity. Journal of Applied Physiology. 111:1048-1058, 2011.
- Ryan KL, Rickards CA, Hinojosa-Laborde C, Cooke WH, and Convertino VA. Arterial pressure oscillations are not associated with muscle sympathetic nerve activity in individuals exposed to central hypovolemia. Journal of Physiology (London). 589:5311-5322, 2011.
- Cooke WH, Moralez G, Barrera C, and Cox P. Digital infrared thermographic imaging for remote assessment of traumatic injury. Journal of Applied Physiology. 111:1813-1818, 2011.
- Cooke Archived Publications