The URIP application requires information from the student and from their supporting faculty member. Students, after submitting your application, please notify your supporting faculty member and ask them to submit their supporting documentation via our faculty form.
Applications for 2023-2024 URIP cycle will open on January 1, 2023 and close March 24, 2023.
Required from the student
Please submit the following using our student URIP application form.
Student Application Form
Please have your project title and mentor contact information available before completing the URIP application. You will also be asked to write a brief statement regarding your interest in engaging in research.
The most important part of the URIP application is the Project Description, which you should develop in collaboration with your faculty mentor. In the description, you should:
- Provide a motivation for your project. Show how it fits into a broader context as well as how it is different from what others have done.
- Describe what you will do. Be specific enough that someone, who is not necessarily an expert in your particular subfield, can make an informed judgment as to the feasibility and potential impact of what you are proposing.
- Describe how you will do it.
The Project Description is limited to 2 pages (12 point font minimum) with one-inch margins and is submitted in pdf format. This gives you the flexibility to include charts, pictures, graphs, equations, tables, etc . . . You may use an extra page for references if needed. Please use the following naming convention for your file: Lastname-Firstname-URIP-project-proposal. (I.e. Grey-Jean-URIP-project-proposal.pdf)
This Project Description is identical in format to the SURF Project Description. For tips relevant to this application, click here.
Required from the supporting faculty
Please submit the following using our URIP faculty support form.
Faculty Mentor Letter of Support
Mentors, please address the following:
- How long and in what capacity have you known the student?
- Why do you think the student is likely to succeed in the project?
- Where does the student's project fit into your overall research program?
The letter of support should be uploaded as a pdf, using the following naming convention: "StudentLastName-YourLastName" (I.e., Smith-Jones.pdf)
Match Funding Acknowledgment
Please provide an index number, not a description, for your matching funding source. Half of your student's payroll will be drawn from this source over the full-term of the funding period based on student-reported work hours split 50/50 and capped at 160 hours. Any reported hours in excess of 160 are the sole responsibility of the faculty member. Your index number must be valid for the entire term of the funding period.
If you have questions about the submission process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.