This asynchronous online bridge course is specifically designed to help students satisfy the linear algebra admissions requirements for Michigan Tech's Online MS in Applied Statistics, an innovative degree in which students develop the versatile statistical toolkit required by in-demand data analysis experts.
This course is ideal for those who do not have the required college course work in linear algebra, but who still would like to apply to our online statistics program. Others wishing to improve their linear algebra skills are also welcome to take this course.
If you need advice on whether this course is right for you, please contact the instructor, Teresa Woods; or the Director of Graduate Enrollment Services, Jacque Smith.
Instructor: Teresa Woods
Duration: 10 weeks
Start Date: Monday, September 18, 2023
Total Costs & Fees: $795 (course) + $74.99 (MyLab Math fee) = $869.99
Registration: through MTU's The Techshop
The Next Start Date is Monday, Sept. 18, 2023.
This bridge course has a very practical curriculum, which covers the fundamentals of linear algebra as they are used in applied statistics courses. Some of the topics include, but are not limited to, systems of equations, vectors, matrices, orthogonality, subspaces, and the eigenvalue problem. More information about other course topics is provided on the syllabus.
This asynchronous online course, designed to help you master the fundamentals of linear algebra, combines instructor-led video explanations with engaging practice exercises in Pearson's MyLab Math learning environment. These practice exercises are auto-graded, which means you will receive immediate and frequent feedback on your performance.
During weeks 4, 7, and 10 of the course, you will submit three longer review assignments in which you will receive detailed feedback from your instructor. You will also check in with your instructor bi-weekly; you may choose to send an email, attend virtual office hours, or schedule a Zoom meeting. If you have questions, your instructor will gladly assist you via email or over Zoom.
Your final grade, which will be a pass or a fail, will be based on the following scale:
- ≥ 70% (pass with confidence)
- 60-69% (minimal pass. Consider re-taking the course.)
- <60% (fail)
For this course, you will need the following materials:
- MyLab Math access ($74.99), which will allow you to learn by doing while providing you with immediate and helpful feedback.
- A good quality scanner or the use of an app to make high-quality PDFs of your handwritten work, which will be collected with the three review assignments. Download the free appGenius Scan, which transforms your phone into a convenient portable scanner.
For additional details about the course, please consult your instructor.
Teresa Woods, MS, has considerable experience in teaching as well as a passion for elementary linear algebra. She also has deep expertise and a rich history in designing and delivering online courses. Woods holds an MS in Mathematical Sciences and an MS in Education (with a focus on adult learning.)
- Associate Teaching Professor, Mathematical Sciences
- Assistant to the Chair, Mathematical Sciences
- Fisher 205A
Next Steps and Registration
- Click on the button below, which takes you to the Techshop storefront (an external site).
- Register and pay for the course on or before the course start: Monday, September 18, 2023.
- Access and review the Canvas course site, which will be published no later than Sunday, September 17, 2023.
- Receive instructions for purchasing the required course materials: MyLab Math. These instructions are located within Canvas. Your purchase, which can be made with a credit card or PayPal, will provide you with instant access to the materials.
- Start learning linear algebra for applied statistics!
"The essence of mathematics is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple."