Student Complaints and Consumer Information by State

The Department of Education requires institutions to provide students with contact information for filing complaints. Resources for filing different types of complaints are provided below.

Michigan Tech Resources

It is recommended that students first attempt to resolve their conflicts with faculty, staff, or other students directly before a formal complaint is filed. Use the resources below to initiate the official resolution process.

If you are unsure what type of complaint you have, or simply have a general concern, the Dean of Students has an online form and their office will help resolve or direct your concern to the appropriate office. Additionally, the Ombuds Office and trained mediators are available to help resolve conflicts as needed.

If it becomes necessary to file a complaint, please follow the applicable internal complaint process below.

Type of Complaint Resource
Academic grievances Dean of Students Office
Graduate grievances Grad School Policies and Procedures
Discriminatory harassment or treatment Institutional Equity Complaint Process
Allegations of research misconduct Research Integrity and Compliance

State Resources

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of Michigan Tech's internal complaint resolution processes, you may contact the responsible state agency. Please note:

  • many, if not all, external agencies will not hear a complaint if the options available through the university have not been exhausted.
  • grade disputes and student conduct issues are typically not reviewed by external or state agencies.

As an NC-SARA member institution, online students residing in any state other than California or Massachusetts should direct unresolved consumer protection complaints to:

State of Michigan
Dept. of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing
Schools and Licensing
PO Box 30018
Lansing, MI 48909

If you are an online student residing in California, you should contact your local state agency instead.  Contact information is provided for all states should any student wish to inquire with their local agency.

Select your state below for relevant contact information.

Your state's contact information will appear here.

Accreditor Complaints

Michigan Technological University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.

230 South LaSalle Street,
Suite 7-500,
Chicago, IL 60604

Complaints regarding issues affecting our ongoing ability to meet the Criteria of Accreditation should be directed to the Higher Learning Commission's complaint process website.