- Dow 601
- Assistant Professor, Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences
- Ph.D., Mining Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India
Snehamoy Chatterjee is an Assistant Professor of Department of Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences, Michigan Tech. Before joining Michigan Tech, Chatterjee was working as an Assistant Professor at National Institute of Technology, India. Chatterjee specializes in ore reserve estimation, short- and long-range mine planning, mining machine reliability analysis, mine safety evaluation, and the application of image analysis and artificial intelligence in mining problems. He received his Ph.D. in Mining Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India.
During his Ph.D. research, Chatterjee solved quality control-related problems using image analysis and geostatistical methods for the National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC), India’s largest iron ore producer and exporter. Chatterjee then worked as a Post-Doctoral Fellow at the University of Alaska Fairbanks where he worked primarily on ore reserve estimation of gold and platinum resources off the coast of Alaska for the US Minerals Management Service (MMS). Thereafter, he joined the COSMO Stochastic Mine Planning Laboratory at McGill University, Canada, where he focused on mine planning optimization and ore-body modeling under uncertainty. He completed ore body and rock-type modeling projects of several other mining operations in India, Australia and Canada.
Presently, Chatterjee is actively involved in research work in the field of resource modeling, production planning, and online quality monitoring integrating multiple data types. He is teaching courses and advising students on topics related to mine planning, mineral resource modeling, mining machine reliability, and vision-based online quality monitoring. He has completed a number of sponsored research and industry projects in these fields for different government organizations and mining companies in India, including the largest public sector coal company, Coal India Limited.
Chatterjee is an active member of the International Associate of Mathematical Geosciences (IAMG), the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, Inc. (SME), the Society of Exploration Geophysics (SEG). He has served as a co-convener and a technical committee member for several international mining conferences. He is also a reviewer for more than twenty journals and has received The Editor's Best Reviewer Awards 2014 from Mathematical Geosciences Journal. He is the recipient of the 2015 APCOM Young Professional Award at the 37th APCOM in Fairbanks, Alaska.
Links of Interest
- Mine Planning and Design under Uncertainties
- Production monitoring and automated control using image sensors
- Multi-point and multi-scale geostatistics
- Mine safety, reliability, and occupational risk modeling
- Statistical and artificial intelligence modeling
- Mine Planning and Design
- Geostatistics and Mineral Resource Estimation
- Systems Engineering
- Reliability and Safety Engineering
- Blasting and Fragmentation
- Chatterjee S, Sethi M, and Asad, MWA. (2016) Production phase and ultimate pit limit design under commodity price uncertainty, European Journal of Operational Research 248(2): 658â€“667. doi:10.1016/j.ejor.2015.07.012 Read More
- Karak S, Chatterjee S, Bandopadhyay S, (2015) Mathematical Modelling of the Physical and Mechanical Properties of Nano-Y2O3 Dispersed Ferritic Alloys using Evolutionary Algorithm-based Neural Network, Powder Technology 274: 217-226. Read More
- Chatterjee S, Mohanty MM (2015) Automatic cluster selection using gap statistics for pattern-based multi-point geostatistical simulation, Arabian Journal of Geosciences 8(9):7691-7704 Read More
- Patel A. K, Chatterjee S, (2015) Computer vision-based limestone rock-type classification using probabilistic neural network, Geoscience Frontiers. doi:10.1016/j.gsf.2014.10.005 Read More
- Chatterjee S, Dimitrakopulos R, and Mustafa H. (2015) Fast wavelet-based conditional simulation using training images. Computational Geosciences. doi: 10.1007/s10596-015-9482-y Read More
- Chatterjee S, Dash A, Bandopadhyay S, (2014) Ensemble Support Vector Machine Algorithm for Reliability Estimation of a Mining Machine, Quality and Reliability Engineering International (DOI: 10.1002/qre.1686) Read More
- Mustafa, H., Chatterjee, S., and Dimitrakopulos, R., (2014) CDFSIM: Efficient Stochastic Simulation Through Decomposition of Cumulative Distribution Functions of Transformed Spatial Patterns, Mathematical Geosciences, 46 (1): 95-123 Read More
- Chowdhury S, Chatterjee S, (2013) Pit optimization and life of mine scheduling for a tenement in central African copper belt, Journal of Mining, Reclamation, and Environment, DOI:10.1080/17480930.2013.811802 Read More
- Chatterjee S (2013) Development of a miners work Injury model using Bayesian structural equation model, Injury Control and Safety promotion, DOI:10.1080/17457300.2013.825629 Read More
- Chatterjee, S. and Bandopadhyay, S. (2013) An Ensemble of Geostatistical Simulated Realizations Using a Clustering Algorithm to Reproduce Model-Based Statistics: Case Study of a Gravel Reserve at Kivalina, Alaska. Marine Georesources and Geotechnology 31 (3): 225-241 Read More
- Chatterjee, S. (2013) Vision-based rock-type classification of limestone using multi-class support vector machine, Applied Intelligence, DOI 10.1007/s10489-012-0391-7. Read More
- Mustafa, H., Chatterjee, S., Dimitrakopulos, R., and Graf, T. (2013) Geologic heterogeneity recognition using discrete wavelet transformation for subsurface flow solute transport simulations, Advances in Water Resources, Vol 54, April 2013, pp. 22â€“37 Read More
- Chatterjee, S., Bandopadhyay, S. (2012) Reliability estimation using a genetic algorithm-based artificial neural network: An application to a load-haul-dump machine, Expert Systems with Applications , Vol. 39, Issue 12, pp. 10943-10951. Read More
- Chatterjee, S., Dimitrakopulos, R., and Mustafa, H. (2012) Dimensional reduction of pattern-based simulation using wavelet analysis, Mathematical Geosciences, Vol. 44, pp. 343-374 Read More
- Chatterjee, S., and Dimitrakopoulos, R. (2012) Multi-scale stochastic simulation with wavelet-based approach, Computer and Geosciences, Vol. 45, pp. 177-189. Read More