- Dillman 201J
- Professor, Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering
- PhD, University of Washington
- MS, University at Buffalo
- BE, Birla Institute of Technology and Science
Amlan Mukherjee is a Professor in Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering at Michigan Technological University. His research interests have primarily been in studying civil infrastructure systems through the lens of risk and life cycle analysis, to improve project outcomes such as project cost, performance and environmental impacts. He has extensive background and experience in life cycle assessment for the construction materials industries and has facilitated the development and implementation of the Environmental Product Development Program for the North American asphalt mixtures for the National Asphalt Pavement Association. He also serves on the Federal Highways Administration (FHWA) Sustainable Pavements Technical Working Group. In related work, he recently co-authored the NCHRP guidelines for sustainable highway construction practices. Dr. Mukherjee also serves on the Board of Directors for the Green Buildings Initiative and the Greenroads Foundation. He received his PhD from the University of Washington, and is a licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Michigan.
- Planning and decision making in infrastructure system management
- Develop models and implements simulations that can aid decision makers assess design alternatives and explore what-if scenarios
- Bhat, C.G., Mukherjee, A. & Meijer, J. (2021) "Life Cycle Information Models: Parameterized Linked Data Structures to Facilitate the Consistent Use of Life-Cycle Assessment in Decision Making" Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part B: Pavements, ASCE, Vol. 147, Issue 4, DOI: 10.1061/JPEODX.0000308
- Rangelov, M., Dylla, H., Mukherjee, A., Sivaneswaran, N. Published (2020) Use of Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs) of Pavement Materials in the United States of America (U.S.A.) to Ensure Environmental Impact Reductions. Journal of Cleaner Production, 124619. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.124619.
- Bhat, C. G., & Mukherjee, A. (2020) "A Life-Cycle Thinking Informed Approach to Support Pavement Design Decision-Making," ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering: Part B, Pavements, Vol 146(4): 04020067
- Bhat, C. G. & Mukherjee, A. (2019) "Sensitivity of Life-Cycle Assessment Outcomes to Parameter Uncertainty: Implications for Material Procurement Decision-Making". Journal of the Transportation Research Record, Transportation Research Board, National Academies, Available at: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0361198119832874.
- Mukherjee, A. & Dylla, H. (2017) ”Challenges to using environmental product declarations in communicating LCA results: the case of the asphalt industry,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Record, No. 2639, pp. 84-92, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies.
- Reddy, K., Lemay, L., Mukherjee, A. & Adams, J. (2016) ”Environmental Aspects”, Chapter 8 (pg. 87) in ”Engineering for Sustainable Communities: Principles and Practices”, edited by William E. Kelly, Barbara Luke and Richard Wright, American Society of Civil Engineers Press, ISBN 978-0-7844-1481-1.
- Jin, Y. & Mukherjee, A. (2014) “Markov chain applications in modelling facility condition deterioration,” International Journal of Critical Infrastructures 10 (2), 93-112.
- Mukherjee, A., Stawowy, B. & Cass, D. (2013) “Project Emissions Estimator (PE-2): Tool to Aid Contractors and Agencies in Assessing Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Highway Construction Projects,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Record, No. 2366, Vol. 1, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington DC. pp 3-12.
- Tang, P., Mukherjee, A. & Onder, N. (2013) ”Using an interactive schedule simulation platform to assess and improve contingency management strategies,” Automation in Construction, Vol 35, pp 551-560.
- Tang, P., Cass, D & Mukherjee, A. (2013) “Investigating the Effect of Construction Management Strategies on Project Greenhouse Gas Emissions,” Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 54 (2013), 78-88.
- Breffle, William S., Muralidharan, D., Donovan, R.P., Liu, F., Mukherjee, A. & Jin, Y. (2012) “Socioeconomic Evaluation of the Impact of Natural Resource Stressors on Human-Use Services in the Great Lakes Environment: A Lake Michigan Case Study.” Resources Policy, Vol 38, pp 152-161.
- Mukherjee, A. & Cass, D. (2012) “Project Emission Estimator: Implementation of a Project-Based Framework for Monitoring Pavement Greenhouse Gas Emissions,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Record, No. 2282, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington DC. 91-99.
Mukherjee, Amlan (Co-Principal), Brooks, Colin (Principal), Dobson, Richard J (Co-Principal), Oommen, Thomas (Co-Principal), Banach, David Miller (Co-Principal), Zhang, Kuilin (Co-Principal), "Integration of Unmanned Aerial Systems Data Collection into Day-to-Day Usage for Transportation Infrastructure," Sponsored by Michigan Dept of Transportation, Amount Awarded: $871,003.00. Project Dates: June 12, 2019 - June 11, 2022. Date Submitted: November 19, 2018. (Awarded).
Mukherjee, Amlan (Principal), "PCR for Asphalt Mixtures and the Emerald Eco-Label EPD Program," Sponsored by National Asphalt Pavement Association, Amount Awarded: $49,999.00. Project Dates: July 1, 2020 - August 31, 2021. Date Submitted: August 1, 2020. (Awarded).
- Mukherjee, Amlan (Principal), "Identify Evaluate and Populate FHWA's Pavement LCA Benchmarking Tool with Industry Datasets," Sponsored by Engineering and Software Consultants Inc, Amount Awarded: $50,000.00. Project Dates: September 21, 2020 - July 19, 2021. Date Submitted: September 15, 2020. (Awarded).
- Mukherjee, Amlan (Principal), "Mapping of Unit/Product System Processes for Pavement Life Cycle Assessment and Demonstration Case Studies," Sponsored by Engineering and Software Consultants Inc, Amount Awarded: $185,425.00. Project Dates: August 20, 2018 - July 19, 2021. Date Submitted: June 28, 2018. (Awarded).