Laura E. Brown
- Rekhi Hall 307
- Associate Professor, Computer Science
- Associate Dean, Data Science Initiatives, College of Computing
- Director, Data Science, M.S. and B.S. Programs
- PhD, Biomedical Informatics, Vanderbilt University
- MS, Biomedical Informatics, Vanderbilt University
- MSE, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Michigan
- BS, Engineering, Swarthmore College
Links of Interest
Area of Expertise
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Data Mining and Data Science
- Applications of AI and ML to Energy (microgrids, power systems), Health, and other domains
- J. Hiebel, L.E. Brown, Z. Wang, "Machine Learning for Fine-Grained Hardware Prefetcher Control" in Proceedings of the 48th International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP), Aug. 2019.
- J. Liu, L.E. Brown, "Effect of Forecast Accuracy on Day Ahead Prediction of Five Coincident Peak Days", in Proceedings of 2019 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Asia (ISGT Asia), May 2019.
- Z. Song, L.E. Brown, "Multi-dimensional Evaluation of Temporal Neural Networks on Solar Irradiance Forecasting”, in Proceedings of 2019 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Asia (ISGT Asia), May 2019.
- J. Liu, L.E. Brown, "Prediction of Hour of Coincident Daily Peak Load” in Proceedings of 2019 IEEE Power Energy Society Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference (ISGT NA), Feb. 2019.
- J. Hiebel, L.E. Brown, Z. Wang, "Constructing Dynamic Policies for Paging Mode Selection” in Proceedings of the 47th International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP), Aug. 2018.
- L.E. Brown, A. Feltz, C. Wallace, "Lab Exercises for a Discrete Structures Course: Exploring Logic and Relational Algebra with Alloy”, in Proceedings of 23rd Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE), July 2018.
- Y. Tang, C.-W. Ten, L.E. Brown, "Switching reconfiguration of fraud detection within an electrical distribution network”, in Proceedings of Resilience Week (RWS), Sept. 2017.
- A complete listing of publications is available on my web-page Read More
- Explore Computer Science Research Workshop ($18K), Google, Inc., PI (co-PI: Jean Mayo, Leo Ureel, Linda Ott), 2019-2020.
- Explore Computer Science Research Workshop ($35K), Google, Inc., co-PI (PI: Jean Mayo, co-PI: Leo Ureel, Linda Ott), 2018-2019.
- Revolution through Evolution: A Controls Approach to Improve How Society Interacts with Electricity ($699K), National Science Foundation - NSF, PI (co-PI: Chee-Wooi Ten, Wayne W. Weaver), 2015-2019. Collaboration with University of New Mexico, Texas Tech University, University of Tennessee-Knoxville, and Fraunhofer CSE (~$2.5M)
- Microdevice for Rapid Blood Typing without Reagents and Hematocrit Determination ($300K), National Science Foundation - NSF, STTR - Microdevice Engineering Inc., co-PI, 2016-2019.
- Adaptive Memory Resource Management in a Data Center - A Transfer Learning Approach ($299K), National Science Foundation - NSF, PI (co-PI: Zhenlin Wang, Steven Carr), 2014-2017. Collaboration with Western Michigan University ($399K)
- Distributed Agent-Based Management of Agile Microgrids (~$1M), US Department of Defense - Army Research Laboratory, co-PI (PI: Gordon Parker, co-PI: Wayne Weaver, Steven Goldsmith), 2013-2017