- Associate Professor, College of Computing
- Program Chair, Computer Network and System Administration
- Affiliated Associate Professor, Computational Science and Engineering
- PhD, Computer Science, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, 2005
- MS, Management, Colorado Technical University, 1999
- BS, Electrical Engineering, Zhongshan University (Sun Yat-sen University), 1996
Yu Cai is an associate professor and program chair of the Computer Network and System Administration degree program in the College of Computing at Michigan Tech. His areas of interest include cybersecurity, computer network, and computing education. Cai has extensive industry experience as a software analyst and network engineer, with his past clients including IBM and Ford. His credentials include the following:
- Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (CMDBA)
- Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (MCSD)
- Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE)
- Microsoft Certified System Engineer + Internet (MCSE + Internet)
- Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT)
- Sun Certified Java Developer (SCJP)
- Computer Network
- Green Computing
- Computing Education
- Designing Security Systems
- Advanced Scripting
- Senior Design
- Y. Cai. and T. Arney, "Using Case Studies to Teach Cybersecurity Courses," Journal of Cybersecurity Education, Research and Practice, 2018.
- Y. Cai and T. Arney, "Scripting for Administration, Automation and Security," Proceedings of the 19th ACM Conference on Information Technology Education (SIGITE), Fort Lauderdale, FL, Oct. 2018.
- Y. Cai and T. Arney, "Cybersecurity Should be Taught Top-Down and Case-Driven," Proceedings of the 18th ACM Conference on Information Technology Education (SIGITE), Rochester, NY, Oct. 2017.
- Y. Cai, "A Virtual Machine Placement Algorithm with Energy-efficiency in Cloud Computing", International Journal of Green Computing (IJGC), vol.8, no.2, 2017.
- PI—National Security Agency—Cybersecurity Curriculum Development Project
- PI—National Science Foundation—Integrating Sustainability into Undergraduate Computing Education
- PI—Michigan Tech—Security Framework for Network Intrusion Detection and Response