Welcome to the Chemical Engineering program at Michigan Tech! Starting at a new school is both exciting and stressful. One thing you can do to help this transition go smoothly is to make sure you are in the correct set of classes for your first semester.
To get started, go to the Degree Requirements page, select the most current catalog year, and download the Chemical Engineering Advising Book. Read the section on schedule planning. Then check out the information below for answers to many more common questions.
- I’m a new student. When can I register for classes?
- I’m a new student. When can I make changes to my schedule?
- What test scores do you accept for AP/IB/CLEP tests and what class credit will I receive?
- How do I figure out what my AP/IB/CLEP and dual enrollment/transfer credit count toward?
- How was my first math class determined?
- I’m enrolled in MA 1120 Single-Variable Calculus with Integrated Precalculus I and I don’t see this on the flowchart or sample schedules. What is this class?
- I’m starting out in precalculus (MA 1032 or MA 1120). Can I still graduate in four years?
- I’ve been placed into precalculus (MA 1032 or MA 1120) but would like to start in calculus. Can I challenge my math placement?
- Which math class should I take next?
- I’ve been enrolled in or taken a higher-level math class but I don’t have credit for the lower-level math class on my transcript. Does this matter?
Read more math FAQs on our advising blog.
- I’m enrolled in CH 1000 Introductory Chemistry. Can I change to CH 1150 University Chemistry?
- I’ve been placed into University Chemistry II (CH 1160). Should I stay in it or move back to University Chemistry I?
- I’ve been placed into organic chemistry (CH 2410). Should I stay in it or move back to university chemistry?
Read more chemistry FAQs on our advising blog.
Read more first-year engineering FAQs on our advising blog.
- I’m enrolled in UN 1000 Frameworks for Success for ExSEL. Why am I in this class? Do I have to take it?
- I’m enrolled in UN 1010 Creating Your Success for Themed Communities. Why am I in this class? Do I have to take it?
- I’m enrolled in HON 1150 Creating Your Path. Why am I in this class? Do I have to take it?
Once you have your classes sorted out, your next step will be to get your books.