Zhanping You, PE
- Dillman 301A
- Distinguished Professor, Transportation Engineering
- PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Dr. Zhanping You joined the faculty at Texas A&M University – Kingsville in January 2004 as a tenure track Assistant Professor. He accepted a position at the rank of Assistant Professor in December 2005 in the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering at Michigan Technological University. He earned his PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign in 2003. Dr. You served as Director of the Center of Excellence for Transportation Materials for a few years, which is in partnership between Michigan Department of Transportation and Michigan Technological University for a few years. He was entitled Donald and Rose Ann Tomasini Assistant Professor of Transportation Engineering. He was promoted to Associate Professor in 2009, to Professor in 2014, and to Distinguished Professor in 2019.
In his capacity as a Professor, he has completed research projects related to road materials. His contribution to pavement and materials research has been featured in newspapers, magazines, and other media. Dr. You has published over 300 papers in peer reviewed journals and conference proceedings. These publications include prestigious journals such as the Journal of the Transportation Research Board published by the National Academy of Sciences, the ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Road Materials and Pavement Design, and Construction and Building Materials.
Dr. You has been an effective teacher with his unique teaching philosophy. His teaching interests include transportation materials, pavement design, asphalt materials, and transportation engineering. In 2009, he received the ASCE fellowship of Excellence in Engineering Education (ExCEEd), and he attended the Teaching Workshop at the United States Military Academy at West Point. In 2018, he was named as Outstanding Advisor in Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Michigan Tech. He earned the prestigious Michigan Tech Research Award in 2019.
Dr. You is an active member in the professional community. He has served as an associate editor for the American Society of Civil Engineers’ (ASCE) Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering since 2008, and for the Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering (English Edition, published by Elsevier) since 2017. He is also a member of the Board of Directors for the International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology, Malaysian Construction Research Journal, and the Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering (published by Elsevier). He has been involved in professional services for many professional organizations including: ASCE (Chair of Mechanics of Pavements Committee and Chair of Bituminous Materials Committee), the Transportation Research Board (TRB), Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (AAPT), International Society of Asphalt Pavements (ISAP), American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and International Union of Laboratories and Experts in Construction Materials, Systems and Structures (RILEM). Dr. You has reviewed technical papers for over 35 journals and has edited four ASCE special publication books. In 2004 and 2005 he was a recipient of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Dwight David Eisenhower Transportation Faculty Fellowship.
Links of Interest
- Road design and analysis
- Civil engineering materials
- Sustainable pavement engineering
- Advanced asphalt materials
- Pavement mechanics
Design, construction, and maintenance of pavements
Micromechanics for road materials
- Discrete element modeling and finite element modeling techniques
Construction materials: asphalt, aggregate, asphalt concrete
Alternative materials for civil engineering
- Recycled materials for civil engineering
- Buttlar, W. G. and Z. You (2001). "Discrete element modeling of asphalt concrete: microfabric approach." Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 1757(1): 111-118.
- Dai, Q. and Z. You (2007). "Prediction of creep stiffness of asphalt mixture with micromechanical finite-element and discrete-element models." Journal of Engineering Mechanics 133(2): 163-173.
- Liu, Y. and Z. You (2010). "Discrete-element modeling: impacts of aggregate sphericity, orientation, and angularity on creep stiffness of idealized asphalt mixtures." Journal of Engineering Mechanics 137(4): 294-303.
- You, Z., et al. (2009). "Dynamic modulus simulation of the asphalt concrete using the X-ray computed tomography images." Materials and Structures 42(5): 617-630.
- You, Z. and W. Buttlar (2004). "Discrete element modeling to predict the modulus of asphalt concrete mixtures." Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 16(2): 140-146.
- You, Z. and W. G. Buttlar (2006). "Micromechanical modeling approach to predict compressive dynamic moduli of asphalt mixtures using the distinct element method." Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 1970(1): 73-83.
- You, Z., et al. (2011). "Evaluation of low-temperature binder properties of warm-mix asphalt, extracted and recovered RAP and RAS, and Bioasphalt." Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 23(11): 1569-1574.
- Mills-Beale, J. and You, Z. (2010). “The mechanical properties of asphalt mixtures with recycled concrete aggregates.” Construction and Building Materials 24 (3), 230-235
- Ong, JB, You, Z., Mills-Beale, J., Tan, EL., Pereles, BD, Ong, KG, “A wireless, passive embedded sensor for real-time monitoring of water content in civil engineering materials.” IEEE Sensors Journal 8 (12), 2053-2058
- Buttlar, WG, You, Z. “Discrete element modeling of asphalt concrete: microfabric approach.” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. 2001, 1757 (1), 111-118.