- Dillman 301G
- Assistant Professor, Construction Management
- Faculty, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Faculty, College of Business
- PhD, Civil Engineering (Cross-disciplinary), University of Alberta
- MASc, Civil Engineering, Concordia University
- BEng, Civil Engineering, Xi’an University of Architecture and Technology
Dr. Bo Xiao's research interests include construction informatics, AI applications in construction, and construction robotics. He has investigated, co-investigated, and participated in several research projects supported by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada and the Innovation and Technology Commission in Hong Kong. He has published over 20 journal articles and conference proceedings. Additionally, he has served as a reviewer for several reputable journals in the construction engineering field, such as Automation in Construction, ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, and Advanced Engineering Informatics. He received the 2022 Outstanding Reviewer Award from the ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering and the Third Place Award in the Inaugural Best Data Competition of ASCE DSA.
Links of Interest
- Advanced technologies in construction (e.g., BIM)
- Project management
- Construction methods
- Structural analysis
- Construction informatics
- Computer vision-based site monitoring
- Construction robotics
- Natural language processing in construction
- Blockchain-enabled contract management
- Cybersecurity in construction management
- Wang, Y., Xiao, B.*, Bouferguene, A., Al-Hussein, M., & Li, H. (2022). Vision-based method for semantic information extraction in construction by integrating deep learning object detection and image captioning. Advanced Engineering Informatics, 53, 101699.
- Xiao, B., Wang, Y., & Kang, S. C. (2022). Deep Learning Image Captioning in Construction Management: A Feasibility Study. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 148(7), 04022049.
- Xiao, B., Zhang, Y., Chen, Y., & Yin, X. (2021). A semi-supervised learning detection method for vision-based monitoring of construction sites by integrating teacher-student networks and data augmentation. Advanced Engineering Informatics, 50, 101372.
- Xiao, B., Yin, X., & Kang, S. C. (2021). Vision-based method of automatically detecting construction video highlights by integrating machine tracking and CNN feature extraction. Automation in construction, 129, 103817.
- Xiao, B., Lin, Q., & Chen, Y. (2021). A vision-based method for automatic tracking of construction machines at nighttime based on deep learning illumination enhancement. Automation in Construction, 127, 103721.
- Xiao, B., & Kang, S. C. (2021). Development of an image data set of construction machines for deep learning object detection. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 35(2), 05020005.