Michigan Technological University understands that collecting and processing personal information is an important topic, and it is committed to safeguarding your privacy. This page addresses concerns about personal data collection in connection with the University’s alumni community and development efforts and explains what information is collected and how it is used. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns regarding this notice.
Why Is Personal Information Collected?
Students of Michigan Technological University automatically become members of the University’s alumni community upon graduation. The development of a vibrant alumni community is an integral part of the University’s long-term commitment to its students and broader University community. It is essential and necessary for Michigan Tech to collect, process, use, and/or maintain the personal data of University alumni, donors, and friends to achieve its mission and to promote engagement with and giving to Michigan Tech.
Whose Information Is Collected?
Michigan Tech collects information about:
- Past Students
- Friends (spouses, other donors, and supporters of the University)
- Corporations and Foundations
What Information Is Collected?
Michigan Tech collects:
- Contact information – home and business addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, and social media contact information
- Demographic information – names, titles, gender, birth and death dates, and ethnicity
- Student information obtained from campus records – degrees, majors, organization involvement, activities, awards, and sports involvement
- Employment information – company names, job titles, and industry information
- Family information – spouse’s name, children's names and birth dates, and familial relationships
- Alumni information & Interests – networking interests and participation, event attendance, volunteer interests, organization affiliations, committee participation, awards and honors
- Donor information – giving information regarding any donation which is made to support The Michigan Tech Fund, including wealth assessment information and indicators of your interest in giving
- Analytical information – aggregated transactional information related to both offline engagement, including events, volunteerism, and donations, and online interactions including web visitor activity, email marketing actions, and social media engagement
How Is Information Collected?
Information is collected through a variety of sources, including:
- Self-provided information online, in person, by email or via phone
- Event or activity registrations
- University student records
- Surveys and focus groups
- Social media profiles such as LinkedIn
- Other information service bureaus
In addition, Michigan Tech may obtain information from third-party sources such as organizations that assist the University with its alumni or development activities, media articles, social networking posts or other public sources.
How We Use Your Personal Information?
Collected information is used only for Michigan Tech purposes, including:
- Promoting alumni events, products, and services
- Inviting you to participate in networking, mentoring, and personal growth opportunities like continuing graduate education at Michigan Tech
- Conducting research and analysis to better understand alumni attitudes, preferences, and interests
We will from time to time communicate with you by email, mail and telephone to pursue the purposes mentioned above. In particular we regularly communicate for the following purposes:
- Share news about the University (including its research and services) and our alumni (including promotion of discounts and services for alumni)
- Invite you to events and reunions
- Invite you to support our fundraising activities
- Invite you to network with and/or mentor other alumni or current Michigan Tech students
- Invite you to engage with third parties with whom Michigan Tech has contracted for alumni benefits, like discounted insurance rates or memberships
- Invite you to volunteer for the University. This includes providing advice and guidance to students and University representatives and giving support to students during their time at University and in their career.
If you prefer not to receive communications regarding any or all of the above purposes, please email email@example.com or call 906-487-2400. To manage your communication preferences online visit My Michigan Tech.
To ensure that we do not make inappropriate requests in our fundraising and volunteering communications, we may research your likely ability and willingness to make gifts to or volunteer for the University. This research may include collecting and storing data relating to you that is in the public domain (such as career history, directorships, shareholdings and remuneration) as well as data that has been provided by you, including your interests, and University activity you have previously been involved with (such as donations, volunteering or event attendance).
If you prefer that we do not conduct this research activity please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 906-487-2400.
Who Has Access to Collected Information?
- University Agents
- Employees of the University, volunteers, and students working with Michigan Tech’s
Advancement and Alumni Engagement unit are considered an extension of staff members,
and are held to the same level of confidentiality regarding alumni contact information.
- Michigan Tech engages with various high quality companies and organizations to offer products and services to benefit alumni. In each of these cases, access to alumni data is strictly controlled by Michigan Tech. Generally, email communications are sent by Michigan Tech on behalf of the organization to ensure security of the data. An example of the companies and organizations: Liberty Mutual Group, Inc., Boston, Massachusetts.
Keeping Your Data Up To Date
We will update the data we hold on you from time to time. For example, if you provide us with new contact details or change your details on websites managed by the University or social media sites such as LinkedIn.
If you would like your data to be updated you may do so at My Michigan Tech or email email@example.com or call 906-487-2400.
How is Information Stored and Secured?
Michigan Tech uses administrative, technical and physical security measures to protect personal information, including destroying information when it is no longer needed. Employees and volunteers who have access to personal information are informed of the appropriate handling of personal information.
The primary system of record for all alumni contact information, demographic data, and donor information is kept in a secure enterprise-grade database.