The Keweenaw Peninsula Parade of Nations is excited to host a second annual Scavenger Hunt, and we are inviting everyone to participate! All area groups and individuals are allowed to participate in the hunt as either a Hide Team, a Hunt Team, or both. We are asking everyone to observe safe social distancing and proper cleanliness for all participants’ safety.
Please use the link above to register your team (or yourself, if you are participating individually) for the event. Both the Hide Teams and Hunt Teams need to register using the same link.
Hide Team Rules
Each scavenger hunt should be designed in a fun way to educate the community about
the different cultures and the history that makes up the Keweenaw. We encourage the
Hide Teams to include information about their culture, country, or organization in
their clues and to find “Hide” locations that have a connection to that information.
1. Each team will provide 3 sets of clues. This first clue will be posted on the website and emailed to participating “Hunt Teams”. The second and third clues will be converted into a QR code and hidden at the locations indicated in the prior clues.
2. The first two clues may be a picture, riddle, hint, or other information that will lead to the next clue location. The clue must not reveal the actual location.
3. The location for the hidden clues must be within safe walking, biking, or traveling distance within or around Houghton and Hancock.
4. The third clue will reveal the name of the Hide Team and any other information about the team and the hunt that the team wishes for the participants to know.
5. Be creative with the clues and keep them under 1500 characters each.
6. The QR codes for the second and third clues will be laminated on sturdy paper and hidden where indicated by the appropriate clues. The Hide sites must be in a public and easily accessible place and the QR codes will be placed in such a way so that they can be easily read by a smart phone. The Parade of Nations committee will be responsible for placing the clues in their respective hiding places.
7. Submit your 3 clues on the Scavenger Hunt registration form. Be sure to fill in the clues in the correct order.
8. The Parade of Nations committee reserves the right to edit the clues for greater clarity if needed. Hide Teams will be informed of any changes to their clues.
9. All clues and hide locations must be submitted to the Parade of Nations committee for final review no later than August 23, 2021. Once approved, the Hide Teams will receive confirmation.
Hunt Team Rules
Hunt teams (or individuals) will be in a race to solve the list of riddles given by
the Hide Teams. The riddles will lead you on a scavenger hunt to find the final answer
of each participating team’s name or cultural site. Below are the rules for those
searching for the clues:
1. Register your team name online by September 5, 2021.
2. An email containing the first clue for the puzzles will be sent to teams in the morning of September 7, 2021. (The clues will appear on our website later in the afternoon for any who have not registered before Sep 5.)
3. The answer to the first clue will lead you to the next location. Here you’ll find the second clue on a laminated card in a safe, publicly accessible location. Scan the QR code found on the card to find the final clue. This will lead you to a Google form. After you submit your team name, it will give you the second clue.
4. The answer to the second clue will lead you to the next location. Scan the final QR code located on the clue card to see the Hide Team or cultural site responsible for that scavenger hunt puzzle.
5. Record all your team’s answers on the answer form (will be available on this webpage on September 7) when you are ready to turn them in. Prizes will be awarded to the 3 teams with the lowest completion time for correct answers to the scavenger hunt. ($300 first place, $200 second place, $100 third place).
Once you have found all of the clues, please submit your 9 answers on the Google Form.
Please remember to practice safe social distancing!
We would like to congratulate the three teams who came in first, second and third place.
First place: Elaine Bacon Literacy Program — Denise Heikinen, Jan Handler, Beth Flynn, Dejlah Mezeel
Second place: Team RAAJ — Cassy Tefft de Munoz, Jannah Tumey, Cody Kangas, Liz Fujita
Third place: Puzzle Lovers — Zazil Santizo, Hongjing Xie, Jacob Blazejewski
We would also like to thank the other participants for their interest, and for making the Scavenger Hunt event a grand success. We eagerly look forward to Scavenger Hunt 2022!
Check out some images from the 2020 Scavenger Hunt below.