Student Health Services
We know you need to be healthy and happy to get the most out of your college experience. If you should find yourself under the weather or in need of any other help, there are a number of resources available to you!
Michigan Tech highly recommends that students have the following vaccinations before arriving to campus:
- Meningococcal Quadrivalent (A,C,Y, W-135)-initial dose at 11-12 years of age, booster at 16 years of age
- Serogroup B Meningococcal-consider ages 16-23 (2 or 3 doses based on brand given)
- Tetanus/ Diphtheria/Pertussis-primary series and booster within the last ten years)
- Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR)-two doses
- Chickenpox (Varicella)-two doses if you have not had the chickenpox
- Hepatitis A-2 doses
- Hepatitis B-3 doses
- HPV-Human Papillomavirus (Men and Women)-3 doses for students 11-26
- Influenza (Flu)- Annually
- Flu Shot clinics are held on campus a few times a year and Flu Shots are provided (insurance will be billed). For more information on clinic dates and times email Whitney Boroski (email@example.com)
- Polio-Primary Series completed
For more information on immunizations, see the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
Michigan Tech Resources
Michigan Tech Student Health Insurance
Benefit Services facilitates the Michigan Tech student Health insurance plan and processes insurance information and questions. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 906-487-1088, or visit the Student Health Insurance page.
You are required to have and maintain health insurance coverage throughout your stay at Michigan Tech if you are:
- An undergraduate international student
- A student athlete
- A graduate student, either domestic (US citizen) or international
Undergraduate domestic (US citizen) students are not mandated to have comprehensive health insurance, but are welcome to utilize the comprehensive health plan offered through Michigan Tech Benefit Services.
Undergraduate International Students/Student Athletes/Graduate (Domestic and International) Students:
- If you are not otherwise insured, information on purchasing health insurance will be provided when you report to campus.
- If you already have insurance that will cover you while at Michigan Tech, you must bring proof of coverage with you and a copy of the insurance policy (not mandatory for undergraduate domestic students).
- Fees for required student health insurance must be paid after student pays tuition (payments can be made through your student Banweb account).
Michigan Tech Counseling Services
Counseling Services at Michigan Tech is here to help you gain perspective and be successful both personally and academically. Professional staff at Counseling Services is composed of licensed therapists who possess both academic and personal counseling training and skills. Services are free and confidential and are provided by licensed professional staff. The staff can assist students with personal issues that may interfere with school and life in general. Counselors can provide guidance with tough decisions, help manage stress, assist to improve communication skills, and foster self-awareness. Any concerns, including depression, pregnancy, anxiety, loneliness, substance abuse, or problems with a relationship, can be discussed with a counselor in a confidential setting.
For information or an appointment, call 906-487-2538 or email email@example.com. Twenty-four-hour emergency services are available—call Public Safety and Police Services at 906-487-2216 and ask for the counselor on call.
Michigan Tech Student Health and Wellness
Michigan Tech Wellness is a student initiative that provides programming and workshops on four core wellness topics: nutrition and healthy eating, physical activity, alcohol and drug education, sexual health, and mental health. To learn more about student wellness programs visit our webpage, and find out how you can get involved.
Michigan Tech Public Safety and Police Services
Public Safety is our on-campus certified police agency. It is open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. For on-campus emergencies dial 123 or 8-911. For off-campus emergencies dial 911 (US International Emergency Dial Code for police, fire, ambulance).
Michigan Tech Disability Services
Michigan Tech is committed to assisting students with documented physical and learning disabilities. Services and accommodations may include extended time for exams, select adaptive technology, priority scheduling, special housing and parking arrangements, or other reasonable assistance. For disability and accommodation concerns, please email Christy Oslund (firstname.lastname@example.org), call 906-487-1494, or visit the Student Disability Services page.
Student Health 101 E-Magazine
Michigan Tech partners with Student Health 101 to provide students with the latest information on how to live a healthy lifestyle while adapting to college life at Michigan Tech. Visit the Student Health 101 page to see the latest article.
Health Resources in the Surrounding Area
Upper Great Lakes Family Health Center-University Center
Students have immediate access to health care services at Upper Great Lakes Houghton Family Health Center located in the UP Health System—Portage University Center. The Health Center is attached to the Student Development Complex on campus and can be reached by calling 906-483-1860
- The clinic has Michigan Tech student walk-in hours every weekday (Monday-Friday) from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm.
- Appointments can be made every weekday (Monday-Friday) from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
- The clinic has a full-service clinic staffed with family medicine providers and offers lab and x-ray services on-site.
- Sport Injury Walk-in Hours are every Monday from 4:00 pm - 5:30 p.m.
- Online Scheduling is available for established patients.
- A sliding fee scale (discounted rate) is available for qualified individuals who are uninsured or under-insured.
- For after hours services please call 906-483-1000 (non-emergency)
UP Health System - Portage Express Care (Houghton)
An option for immediate care is the UP Health System—Portage Express Care on Sharon Avenue directly across from Taco Bell. For $49, many common ailments can be treated Sunday through Saturday, 10:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m. and 10:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. on holidays (Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day). Call 906-483-1777 for more information.
UP Health System-Portage Hospital (Hancock)
Emergency care is provided at the UP Health System—Portage in Hancock. No appointments are needed for emergency services. The contact number for the hospital is 986-483-1000. An online directory of regional physicians and hospitals may be found at UP Health System—Portage.
Aspirus Keweenaw-Houghton Clinic
The Aspirus Houghton Clinic is located at 100 Cedar St. (behind Wal-Mart) and can be reached by calling 906-487-1710
- Open 7:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m. Monday to Thursday, 7:00 a.m.–5 p.m. Friday, and 9:00 a.m.–1p.m. Saturday.
- Full-service clinic offering Family Medicine, Orthopedics, Women's Health, Midwifery, OB, Pediatrics, Urology, Ear, Nose, & Throat (ENT), General Surgery, Cancer Care, Heart Care, Nutrition Counseling, Acupuncture, and Headache Therapy.
- Lab, x-ray, ultrasound, and mammography onsite.
- Full-service pharmacy onsite. Prescription deliveries available to your home, office, or residence hall room.
- Appointments (recommended) are always available, same-day or next-day. Walk-in visits welcome.
- Sports Injury Clinic open Wednesday 1:30 p.m.–5:00 p.m. Please call 906-231-8047 for more information.
- A sliding fee scale (discounted rate) is available for qualified individuals who are uninsured or underinsured.
- Aspirus is a Patient-Centered Medical Home and a Patient-Centered Medical Home-Neighbor.
- An online directory of physicians and hospitals/clinics may be found on the AspirusKeweenaw website.
- TRANSPORTATION: Michigan Tech students can take the City of Houghton Downtowner Shuttle to the clinic. Visit the Michigan Tech Transportation Services page for shuttle schedules and information.
Aspirus Keweenaw-Hospital (Calumet)
Aspirus Keweenaw offers a full range emergency care 24/7 at the Level III Trauma Center at Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital located at 205 Osceola St in Laurium. The Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital can be reached by calling 906-337-6560
- No appointments are needed for emergency services.
- An online directory of physicians and hospitals/clinics may be found on the Aspirus Keweenaw website.
Western Upper Peninsula Health Department (Hancock)
The Westerns Upper Peninsula Health Department in Hancock has a variety of offerings and services. More information can be found by visiting their website (Western Upper Peninsula Health Department), or by calling the Hancock office at 906-482-7382.
- Environmental Health
- Reproductive Health
- Disease Prevention
- Pregnant Women and Children
- Community Health and Wellness