Congratulations Huskies! You are one step closer to graduating. Please take the time to follow these steps to make sure your commencement day is a success.
Pay attention to dates and deadlines
Please pay attention to important dates and deadlines sent to your University email regarding graduation eligibility and important dates for participation in the upcoming commencement ceremony.
All undergraduate students must apply to graduate. The form needs to be filled out by all prospective graduates—including those who do not plan to participate in the commencement ceremony. A separate application is required for each undergraduate degree.
- This is where you will provide the address your diploma will be delivered.
Complete your degree audit
Some departments require completion of a paper audit in addition to your interactive audit. When running your interactive audit, be sure to run the default audit that says “Latest”. It is important that you run your interactive audit after you have registered for your last semester of classes. All of the areas on the degree audit should be green except the last two areas, Repeated Courses and Courses Not Used, which are always red. If there are problems with your interactive audit see your advisor ASAP. You will receive email notification once your interactive audit has been approved by your department.
Please be sure to update your contact information in BanWeb to the most accurate phone number(s) and address(es).
This survey is to be completed once you have plans for after graduation, whether it is going to graduate school, entering into military service, joining the Peace Corps, or taking a job after graduation. It is important because this is how Michigan Tech determines your placement rate upon graduation. The survey is located on Handshake.
Complete your loan exit counseling for financial aid
Some loan programs require that you complete exit counseling. You will receive an email notification if you are required to complete this. If you have questions, contact the Student Financial Services Center at 906-487-2622.
All participants must wear a cap and gown for the commencement ceremony. Ordering your regalia before the deadline is important.
Participate in Development Events
Many departments hold special senior events, such as senior exit interviews/survey, senior awards ceremony, graduating class picture, Order of the Engineer reception, senior reception, etc. Keep an eye out for more information on these events.
Make arrangements to take professional certification exam
Professional certification exams are best taken now while the test material is fresh in your mind. Michigan Tech offers many professional exams in our testing center and some departments subsidize the cost of the exam if you take it now, so take advantage of this.
Seating at every ceremony is limited. Tickets must be ordered for all visitors.
Rehearsal is at 1:30 in the multipurpose room at the SDC on Dec. 15, 2023. The rehearsal will help you find where you are sitting and give you the opportunity to share that information with your guests attending.
What do I bring to Commencement?
- Pronouncer Card (handed out the morning of the ceremony), Cap, Gown, Hood, Tassel, and Honor Cord
- Comfortable shoes for walking are highly recommended
Arrive 1 hour before the ceremony begins
Arriving one hour before your ceremony begins gives the commencement staff time to get everyone ready to have a memorable day.
At the Ceremony
The following information pertains to in-person ceremonies.
Find your program
You will line up with the other students in your program (by degree and by department offering the degree). Look for the sign for your group when you arrive.
Get your card/line up
- You will be given a card with your name, degree and any honors.
- Get familiar with your place in line. Know who is in front of you and who is behind you.
- You will keep this card and should be prepared to hand the card to the name reader as you approach the ramp of the stage.
- Do not change places after the processional begins.
- Be in line when the processional begins (when the line is ready to move). Once the music begins, you cannot rejoin the line.
Your walk across the stage
- Before your degree level is recognized, you will be told to stand and proceed in line to the stage.
- When the person in front of you begins to walk across the stage and after their name is called, move to the tape at the middle of the ramp and remain there until your name is called.
- You will be recognized by name as you walk across the stage.
- Proceed off the stage, walking around to the side of the stage to have your graduation picture taken. You will be directed by staff to go back onto the floor and return to your seat. Please do not leave the floor before the ceremony is complete.
There will be a formal recessional. Wait for the official dismissal and then follow the person in front of you.
How will I get my diploma?
Your diploma will not be handed out during the commencement. Make sure your contact information is up to date so you can receive your diploma after graduation. If you think there is a problem with your diploma's delivery status, please contact email@example.com.