You must wear a cap and gown for the commencement ceremony. Michigan Tech allows certain exceptions, such as religious clothing or military uniforms.
ROTC commissionees will begin the commencement by wearing their uniforms through the commissioning and will put on their cap and gown before returning to their assigned seat. If you have questions, please refer to the Regalia Guidelines.
How to Order
Graduates may order their caps and gowns through the Campus Store. Regalia is the property of the graduate. Rental regalia is not available.
Regalia Order Deadlines
Orders placed by noon on October 9, 2023
Masters Candidate Set $120.00 (plus tax)
PhD Candidate set $140.00 (plus tax)
Orders placed after October 9, 2023
Masters Candidate Set $140.00 (plus tax and expedited shipping)
PhD Candidate set $160.00 (plus tax and expedited shipping)
Orders placed after noon on November 13, 2023 are not guaranteed to arrive before the ceremony.
Regalia orders can be picked up Monday, December 11, 2023 through Thursday, December 14, 2023 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m at the Campus Store Buyback Window. You will need to present a photo ID to pick up your order.
A few things to note:
- All sets include a gown, SureFit cap (one size fits most) and tassel. Masters and PhD sets also include a hood.
- Prices subject to change. There are no refunds on cap and gown orders.
- Students participating in the Spring Commencement 2023 ceremony may order their caps and gowns beginning in February 2023. Students participating in Midyear Commencement 2023 may order their caps and gowns beginning in October 2023.
- Masters and PhD students may not wear undergraduate regalia.
- Please contact the Campus Bookstore at 906-487-2410 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
How to Get Cords
Veterans receive a red, white and blue cord to wear at the ceremony. Please contact Kathy Pintar in the Registrar's Office to get your cord.
How to Wear Your Tassel
All graduates wear their tassels on the right side of their cap. Michigan Tech asks graduates to wear tassels this way, so the photographer has a clear opening to take your picture.