Card Tap or Logbook
ACMAL facility users at Michigan Tech are accountable for their usage session through a card tap or logbook system. Review each instrument page for its access type. There may also be logbooks for supplies, such as cantilever tips.
Card Tap Instructions
Your account information must be stored in the computer prior to first use. Give the following information to one of the EOF lab staff, who will place it in the system. Please give the staff sufficient time for this. You may submit information by email.
- Advisor’s name and contact information
- Your department
- Your account number
Do Each Time
- Reserve the instrument as usual.
- On the instrument computer, place the cursor into the ID Card field of the logbook software.
- Tap your Michigan Tech ID through the card reader. (This replaces the card swipe action.)
- A menu will appear that prompts you to select an account number and instrument to use for that session.
- After you select an account number, the timer will begin running and the instrument will be activated for use. NOTE: The instrument will not operate without the required information.
- A timer runs until you tap again to end your session.
Frequently Asked Questions
Give the staff at least a day or so before your first use. They must verify your account number and enter the data manually.
The FESEM high voltage (beam) will be grayed out and unusable until you log in. Everything will look proper EXCEPT the icon will be gray and the HV will not come on.
On the TEM, the LEDs on the Auto-ramp device (Up/Down – Red/Green LEDs) will be off and the filament current will not increase until you log in.
For the 6400 SEM, the HV is disabled as indicated when ACCEL button will not light up when depressed.
For the FIB, the HV is disabled. If you select HV with the FIB software w/o logging in, a “High voltage leak detected” error appears and the HV will not be activated.
YES!! Please take care to tap out at the end of your session! Place your ID card near the sample exchange area of the scope to make sure you do not forget to tap out.
NOTE: The first time a user fails to tap out of the system, they will be charged for the time they reserved in the online calendar. After that, they will be charged TWICE the calendar time.
REASON: Occasionally, users fail to tap their ID after using the microscopes. In that event, the clock runs until the next users taps into the system. This can result in a very large monthly charge. The system creates MTU invoices automatically, and there is no way of knowing whether the charges are the result of this problem. There is no effective way to program the logbook system to automatically end a session. All users are instructed to use the system properly.