William W. Predebon
JS Endowed Department Chair, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
- PhD, Engineering Mechanics, Iowa State University
- MS, Engineering Mechanics, Iowa State University
- BS, Engineering Science, University of Notre Dame
Dr. Predebon's research includes mechanical behavior, characterization and processing of ceramics, shock deformation including microstructural effects and dynamic fracture of metals and ceramics, impact phenomena, computer simulation of wave phenomena, explosive-metal interaction and fragmentation. His research usually involves experimental, analytical, and computational elements.
Dr. Predebon's research in mechanical behavior and processing of alumina has recently resulted in two patents. This newly developed alumina has exceptional compressive and tensile strength properties which increase with strain rate. It has also increased toughness. It has an enhanced dynamic yield strength (Hugoniot Elastic Limit) and spall strength. Potential applications being considered are ceramic cutting tools, engine components (pistons, valves, etc.), bioceramics, electronic structures, and armor.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Impact Phenomena
- Wave Propagation
- Computer Simulation of Explosive - Metal Systems
- Mechanical behavior
- Characterization and processing of ceramics
- Shock deformation including microstructural effects and dynamic fracture of metals and ceramics
- Impact phenomena
- Computer simulation of wave phenomena
- Explosive-metal interaction and fragmentation
- Predebon, William, Sutherland, John W., Shapton, William, Zenner, P.F., Banks-Sikarskie, M.A., Artman, L.A., and Lins, P.A., 2001, "From the Classroom to the Boardroom: Distance Learning Undergraduate and Graduate Engineering Programs, A Global Partnership of Industry and Academia," International Conference on Engineering Education Proceedings (CD Format), Oslo, Norway, August 6-10, 2001, pp. 1-6.
- Predebon, William, White, C.L., Wathne, E., and Larsen, P.K., 2001, "An International Industry/University Collaboration: Norsk Hydro Michigan Tech/NTNU," International Conference on Engineering Education Proceeding (CD Format), Oslo, Norway, August 6-10, 2001, p. 4.
- Predebon, William, Staehler, J.M., Pletka, B.J., and Subhash, G., 2000, "Micromechanisms of Deformation in High-purity Hot-pressed Alumina," Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 291, No. 1-2, pp. 37-45.
- Anderson, Carl, Predebon, William, Lankford, J., Pletka, B. J., Staehler, J. M., Subhash, G., 1998, "The Role of Plasticity as a Limiting Factor in the Compressive Failure of High Strength Ceramics," Mechanics of Materials Vol. 29, Issues 3-4, August 1998, pp. 205-218.
- Predebon, William, Staehler, J.M., Pletka, B.J., and Subhash, G., 1995, "Strain-Rate Effects in High-Purity Alumina," JOM, Vol. 47, No. 5, pp. 60-63.
Recent Research Projects
- Enhancing Middle School Mathematics Achievement Through Spatial Skills Instruction