Sudhakar M. Pandit
- MEEM 903
Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- MS, Statistics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- MS, Industrial Engineering, Pennsylvania State University
- BE, Mechanical Engineering, University of Poona
Pandit's main areas of interest are systems analysis, forecasting, and control, with applications to manufacturing and design. Pandit's principal contribution has been the methodology of data dependent systems (DDS). He has taught courses on this methodology and undertaken research in its application to computer-integrated manufacturing, solar energy simulation, paper-making, blast furnace operation, quality control, business forecasting, vibration and modal analysis, machine vision, and nanometrology. He has published more than 130 papers on the methodology, including two books listed below. Pandit served as 1993-94 ASA/NSF/NIST Senior Research Fellow, is the recipient of the MTU 1994 Faculty Research Award, and was elected Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers in 1999.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Data-Dependent Systems Modeling
- Computer Control
- Machine Vision
- Systems analysis
- Pandit, S.M., Paul, D., and Roth, J.T., "Tool Breakage Detection in End-Milling: A DDS Approach", Transactions of the NAMRI/SME, Vol. XXIII, 1995, pp. 261-266.
- Yao, Y.-X., and Pandit, S.M., "Cramer-Rao Bound for a Damped Sinusoidal Process," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 43, No.4, 1995, pp. 878-885.
- Pandit, S.M., Yao, Y.-X., and Hu, Z.-Q., "Dynamic Properties of Rigid Body and Supports from Vibration Measurements," ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 116, 1994, pp. 269-274.
- Pandit, S.M., Jordache, N. and Joshi, G.A., "Data Dependent Systems Methodology for Noise Insensitive Phase Unwrapping in Laser Interferometric Surface Characterization" Journal of the Optical Society of America A, Vol. 11, 1994, pp. 2584-2592.
- Guo, R., and Pandit, S.M., "Shape Recognition by DDS Approach" Transactions of NAMRI/SME, Vol. XXII, 1994, pp. 391-398.
- Yao, Y.-X., and Pandit, S.M., "Variance of Least Squares Estimators for a Damped Sinusoidal Process", IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, November 1994.
- Pandit, S.M., and Hu, Z.-Q., "Determination of Rigid Body Characteristics from Time Domain Modal Test Data", Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 177, 1994, pp. 31-41.