- Fisher 110
- Assistant Professor, Physics
- PhD, Physics and Astronomy, McMaster University, Canada
- Postdoctoral Scholar, California Institute of Technology
Issei Nakamura joined the Physics Department as an assistant professor. He earned his PhD in Physics at McMaster University in Ontario, Canada, an MS in Physics from Osaka University in Japan and a BS in Physics from Tokyo University of Science. Before coming to Michigan Tech, Nakamura was a postdoctoral scholar at the California Institute of Technology. He soon became a professor in the Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. He has also worked as a system engineer in the Nomura Research Institute in Tokyo, Japan. His research focuses on theoretical particle physics, electromagnetics, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, numerical programming, mathematical physics and special and general relativity.
- Self-assembly of macromolecules
- Ion solvation in liquids
- Dielectric response of molecules under external electrostatic fields
- Electrochemistry related to energy storage
- Computer simulations for macromolecular systems
- Radiation biology
- Biological physics
- Nakamura, I. (2020), "Microphase Separation of Ionic Liquid-Containing Diblock Copolymers:
Effects of Dielectric Inhomogeneity and Asymmetry in the Molecular Volumes and Interactions
between the Cation and Anion." Macromolecules, 53(10), 3891-3899. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.macromol.0c00318
- Shock, C. J., Stevens, M. J., Frischknecht, A. L., Nakamura, I. (2020), "Solvation
Energy of Ions in a Stockmayer Fluid." The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 0(0), null. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcb.0c00769
- Nakamura, I. (2020), "Phase diagrams of polymer-containing liquid mixtures with a
theory-embedded neural network." New Journal of Physics, 22(1), 015001. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1367-2630/ab68fc
- Nakamura, I., Shock, C. J., Eggart, L., Gao, T. (2019), "Theoretical Aspects of Ionic
Liquids for Soft‐Matter Sciences." Israel Journal of Chemistry, 59(9), 813--823. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ijch.201800143
- Nakamura, I. (2018), "Effects of Dielectric Inhomogeneity and Electrostatic Correlation
on the Solvation Energy of Ions in Liquids." The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 122, 6064.
- Chen, H., Nakamura, I., An, L. (2018), "Water dissolution in ionic liquids between
charged surfaces: Effects of electric polarization and electrostatic correlation." Molecular Systems Design & Engineering, 3, 328.
- Liu, L., Nakamura, I. (2017), "Solvation Energy of Ions in Polymers: Effects of Chain
Length and Connectivity on Saturated Dipoles near Ions." JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY B, 121(14), 3142-3150.
Nakamura, I. (2016), "Spinodal Decomposition of a Polymer and Ionic Liquid Mixture: Effects of Electrostatic Interactions and Hydrogen Bonds on Phase Instability." MACROMOLECULES, 49(2), 690-699.