Preparing to welcome an international scholar? These are the steps all Michigan Tech departments follow:
Complete the J-1 Exchange Visitor (Scholar) Request Form.
- The department head signs the form on page 1.
- The sponsor signs verification of eligibility on page 2.
Send the completed form to International Programs and services with these documents:
- A clear copy of the photo page of the passport of each person entering the country, scholar and dependents. Each name on the DS-2019 must be identical to the names on the passports. Having copies of the passports will avoid delays.
- A copy of the invitation letter from Michigan Tech indicating amount of support, and the specific project or work the scholar will be doing.
- Other financial support, if support is not coming from Michigan Tech.
- J-2 Dependent Request Forms for spouses or children.
- Proof of English proficiency
- Through a recognized English language test.
- Through signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school.
- IPS creates and sends each scholar’s DS-2019 form and information sheets—plus dependent forms as needed—to the department.
- The department forwards the forms to the scholar before the scheduled visa interview.
You Need to Know
Send forms via FedEx or a similar expedited service to be sure they arrive in time for the visa interview.
- Make sure arriving scholars report immediately to IPS.
- Let scholars know that proof of insurance must be submitted to IPS.
- Let scholars paid by Michigan Tech know that they must check in for necessary paperwork with Human Resources' payroll office.
- Contact IPS if the scholar will not arrive on time.
Guidelines to Extend a DS-2019
Complete and return to IPS before the program end date listed on the DS-2019:
- J-1 Exchange Visitor (Scholar) Request for Extension of Program Form with the Michigan Tech department head's signature.
- A copy of the offer letter showing amount and duration of support. Include the new end date.
You Need to Know
Departments also need to arrange building, lab, and communication network access as needed.