This fund was established by colleagues and friends of Betty Chavis in recognition fo her many contributions to Michigan Tech. Since arriving on campus in 1989, Betty worked tirelessly to develop programs to meet the diversity needs of the University and the local communities. Many alumni can point to Betty as their champion.
She developed Black History Week at Michigan Tech to showcase African American accomplishments in the United States and was the advisor to the Michigan Tech African Student Organization for many years. Betty developed Women's History Week and was instrumental in creating the Parade of Nations. Her support for students was unwavering and it is fitting that this fund bears her name.
What Is Considered to Be a Financial Emergency?
- Students affected by COVID-19
- Fire or Flood Victim
- The death of an immediate family member
- An immediate family member is ill and requires your assistance
- An illness that requires immediate medial care and/or medication
- A personal injury or accident
- Victim of a crime
- Other emergency situation
Please note: Tuition and Books cannot be covered by this Fund.
What Are the Eligibility Requirements?
An applicant must:
- be a United States Citizen
- be a registered Michigan Tech undergraduate or graduate student at the time the application is submitted (applicant may be a part-time student)
- be facing an emergency situation (as described above)
- demonstrate financial need
- be committed to using funds as designated.
What Is the Award Amount?
The award amount is based on a review of your application materials by a committee including the dean of students (or the dean's designee) and a representative from the Financial Aid Office. The amount of financial assistance awarded typically does not exceed $500 and can be awarded only once a calendar year. During the outbreak of COVID-19, other award amounts may be considered on a case by case basis.
How Do I Apply?
- Complete the request form,
- Submit supplemental documents (if you have anything that supports your request).