Bruce P. Lee
- M&M 401
- Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- PhD, Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- MS, Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- BS, Chemical Engineering, Cornell University
The Lee group research is focused on applying biologically-inspired molecular designs with chemistry, polymer engineering and materials science principles in developing advanced and functional materials for various biomedical applications. Current projects include applying biomimetic structural designs to create tough hydrogels that can potentially function as tissue adhesives or extracellular matrices for tissue repair and regeneration, and coatings to control biointerface of biomaterials that can prevent non-specific absorption of proteins, cells, and bacteria.
Prior to joining Michigan Tech, Dr. Lee helped found a start-up company, Nerites Corporation, which aimed at commercializing biomimetic bioadhesive and antifouling technologies. Nerites Corporation was acquired by Kensey Nash Corporation (part of Royal DSM) in 2011.
Dr. Lee was awarded the 2016 Young Investigator Award by the Office of Naval Research.
- Biomimetic, bio-inspired materials
- Antimicrobial and antifouling coatings
- Polymer chemistry
- Tissue adhesives
H Meng, P. Kord Forooshani, PU Joshi, J Osborne, X Mi, C Meingast, R Pinnaratip, J Kelley, A Narkar, W He, MC Frost, CL Heldt, BP Lee.* “Biomimetic recyclable microgels for on-demand generation of hydrogen peroxide and antipathogenic application” Acta Biomaterialia, 83, 109-118, (2019).
AR Narkar and BP Lee.* “Incorporation of anionic monomer to tune the reversible catechol-boronate complex for pH responsive, reversible adhesion”Langmuir, 34, 9410-9417, (2018).
AR Narkar, JD Kelley, R Pinnaratip, and BP Lee.* “Effect of ionic functional groups on the oxidation state and interfacial binding property of catechol-based adhesive” Biomacromolecules, 19, 1416-1424, (2018).
Y Liu, H Meng, Z Qian, N Fan, W Choi, F Zhao, and BP Lee.* “A moldable nanocomposite hydrogel composed of a mussel-inspired polymer and a nanosilicate as a fit-to-shape tissue sealant” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 56, 4224-8, (2017).
AR Narkar, B Barker, M Clisch, J Jiang and BP Lee.* “pH responsive and oxidation resistant wet adhesive based on reversible catechol-boronate complexation” Chemistry of Materials, 28, 5432-5439, (2016).
Y Li, H Meng, Y Liu, AR Narkar and BP Lee.* “Gelatin microgel incorporated poly(ethylene glycol)-based bioadhesive with enhanced adhesive property and bioactivity” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces,8, 11980-9, (2016).
Y Liu,‡ H Meng,‡ S Konst, R Sarmiento, R Rajachar, BP Lee.* “Injectable dopamine-modified poly(ethylene glycol) nanocomposite hydrogel with enhanced adhesive property and bioactivity” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 6, 16982-16992, (2014). ‡ denotes equal contribution.8. BP Lee* and S Konst. “Novel hydrogel actuator inspired by reversible mussel adhesive protein chemistry” Advanced Materials, 26, 3415-3419, (2014).
- BP Lee* and S Konst. “Novel hydrogel actuator inspired by reversible mussel adhesive protein chemistry” Advanced Materials, 26, 3415-3419, (2014).
- Bruce P. Lee, Jed White, Fangmin Xu, John L. Murphy, Laura Vollenweider. “Thin film compositions and methods of synthesis and use therefore”. US Patent 8,754,285, (issued 2014).
- Phillip B. Messersmith, Jeffrey L. Dalsin, Bruce P. Lee, Sean A. Burke. "DOPA-Functionalized, Branched, Poly(aklylene oxide) Adhesives". US Patent 8,673,826, (issued 2014).
- Phillip B. Messersmith, Jeffrey L. Dalsin, Lijun Lin, Bruce P. Lee, Kui Huang. “Polymeric compositions and related methods of use”. US Patent 8,815,793, (issued 2014).
- Phillip B. Messersmith, Haeshin Lee, Bruce P. Lee. “Biomimetic Modular Adhesive Complex: Materials, Methods and Applications Therefore”. US Patent 8,563,117 (issued 2013).
- Bruce P. Lee, Laura Vollenweider, John L. Murphy, Faming Xu, Jeffrey L. Dalsin, Jean Virosco, William Lew, Jed White. "Bioadhesive Constructs." US Patent 8,383,092 (Issued 2013).
- Jeffrey L. Dalsin, Bruce P. Lee, Laura Vollenweider, Sunil Silvary, John L. Murphy, Fangmin Xu, Amanda Spitz, Arinne Lyman. “Multi-Armed Catechol Compound Blends”. US Patent 8,119,742 (issued 2012).
- Bruce P. Lee. “Biomimetic Compounds and Synthetic Methods Therefore”. US Patents 7,622,533 (issued 2009), 8,030,413 (issued 2011), 8,575,276 (issued 2014).
- Phillip B. Messersmith, Haeshin Lee, Andrea R. Statz, Bruce P. Lee, Jeffrey L. Dalsin, Daniel Sherman. "Surface independent, surface-modifying, multifunctional coatings and applications thereof" US Patent 8,911,831, (Issued 2014).
- Phillip B. Messersmith, Bruce P. Lee, Jeffrey Dalsin, Lijun Lin. “Polymeric Compositions and Related Methods of Use”. JP Patent 5133048, (issued 2012).
- Kenneth R. Shull, Murat Guvendiren, Phillip B. Messersmith, Bruce P. Lee. “Modified acrylic block copolymers for hydrogels and pressure sensitive wet adhesives”. US Patents 7,635,737 (issued 2009), 7,732,539 (issued 2010), 7,943,703 (issued 2011).