- Professor, Physics and Materials Science and Engineering
- PhD, Physics, City University of New York
Professor Levy's research activities presently center on photonics, with an emphasis on nonreciprocal phenomena, magneto-photonics and nanophotonics.
Links of Interest
- Nonreciprocal Phenomena
- Dolendra Karki, Ramy El-Ganainy, and Miguel Levy, “Toward High-Performing Topological Edge-State Optical Isolators,” Phys. Rev. Applied 11, 034045 (2019).
- O. V. Borovkova, H. Hashim, M. A. Kozhaev, S. A. Dagesyan, A. Chakravarty, M. Levy, and V. I. Belotelov, "TMOKE as efficient tool for the magneto-optic analysis of ultra-thin magnetic films," Appl. Phys. Lett. 112, 063101 (2018).
- Dolendra Karki, Vincent Stenger, Andrea Pollick, Miguel Levy, “Thin-film magnetless Faraday rotators for compact heterogeneous integrated optical isolators,” J. Appl. Phys. 121, 233101 (2017). Read More
- Miguel Levy and Dolendra Karki, “Nonreciprocal transverse photonic spin and magnetization-induced electromagnetic spin-orbit coupling,” Scientific Reports Sci. Rep. 7, 39972; doi: 10.1038/srep39972 (2017). Read More
- Mehdi Sadatgol, Mahfuzur Rahman, Ebrahim Forati, Miguel Levy, and Durdu Ö. Güney, “Enhanced Faraday rotation in hybrid magneto-optical metamaterial structure of bismuth-substituted-iron-garnet with embedded-gold-wires,” J. Appl. Phys. (2016).
- Ramy El-Ganainy and Miguel Levy, “Optical diodes in topological photonic arrays,” SPIE Newsroom 10.1117/2.1201602.006358 (2016). Read More
- Miguel Levy, A. Chakravarty, H. –C. Huang, R. M. Osgood, Jr., “Large magneto-optic enhancement in ultra-thin liquid-phase-epitaxy iron garnet films,” Appl. Phys. Lett. vol. 107, 011104 (2015). Read More
- Mehdi Sadatgol, Mahfuzur Rahman, Ebrahim Forati, Miguel Levy, Durdu O. Guney, "Magneto-Optic Metamaterial," arXiv. physics (2015) Read More
- Miguel Levy, Turhan Carroll, and Ramy El-Ganainy, “Enhancing Optical Isolator Performance in Nonreciprocal Waveguide Arrays,” Opt. Lett. Vol. 40, 111-114 (2015). Read More
- Ramy El-Ganainy and Miguel Levy, "Optical Isolation in Topological-Edge-State Photonic Arrays," Opt. Lett. Vol. 40, 5275-5278 (2015). Read More
- Thin-Film Magneto-Optic Polarization Rotator, US Patent No. 5,408,565, issued 1995.
- Crystal Ion Slicing of Single-Crystal Films, US Patent No. 6,120,597, issued 2000.
- Slicing of Single-Crystal Films Using Ion Implantation, US Patent Nos. 6,503,321 and 6,540,827 B1, issued 2003.
- Method for Fabricating Ultra-Thin Single-Crystal Metal Oxide Wave Retarder Plates and Waveguide Polarization Mode Converter Using the Same, US Patent No.6,641,662, issued 2003.
- Waveguide Mach-Zehnder Optical Isolator Utilizing Transverse Magneto-Optical Phase Shift, US Patent No. 6,943,932, issued 2005.
- Magneto-Photonic Crystal Isolators, US Patent No. 6,952,300, issued 2005.
Graduated PhD and MS Students
- Haichun Yang, PhD 2005 ////////// Process Engineer, Applied Materials, Santa Clara CA
- Rong Li, PhD 2006
- Xiaoyue Huang, PhD 2007 ////////// Senior Staff Engineer, Advance Dielectrics Team Lead, Seagate Technology, Bloomington, MN
- Raghav Vanga, PhD 2008 ////////// Cosemi Technologies, Inc, Irvine, CA
- Ziyou Zhou, PhD 2009 ////////// Senior Engineer, Metrology. Seagate Technology, Bloomington, MN
- Zhuoyuan Wu, PhD 2010 ////////// Seagate Technology, Bloomington, MN
- Ding Chu, MS 2011 ////////// Characterization Engineer, Veeco Instruments Somerset, NJ
- Pradeep Kumar, PhD 2013 ////////// Research Associate, University of Wisconsin, Madison WI
- Neluka Dissanayake, PhD 2013 ////////// Instructor, Madison College, Madison WI ////Honorary Felow, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Ashim Chakravarty, PhD 2015 //////// Postdoctoral Scientist, Spectroscopy of Solids and Interfaces (Prof. Theo Rasing), Radboud University, Nijmegen, Netherlands
- Dolendra Karki, Ph.D. 2018