International students must be full-time during fall and spring semesters. Students who do not intend to take a full course load need approval beforehand from their IPS advisor.
- IPS is authorized to approve less than full course loads for degree-seeking students on F-1 and J-1 visas only under exceptions allowed under federal regulations.
- If a first-year student has academic difficulties we may approve one exception, but no more than one.
- Graduate students supported on assistantship must register for 9 credits. They are not eligible for reduced course load authorization.
Reasons and Process for Reduced Course Loads
- Academic Difficulties
- Lack of familiarity with US teaching methods
- Difficulty with English language (includes reading requirements)
- Improper course level placement
Required Documentation: The student must provide a letter from the academic advisor and/or instructor confirming the student is eligible for a reduced course load based on evaluation of academic performance or student records.
- Medical Reasons
For serious medical conditions that restrict the ability to attend classes and pursue full-time studies. Available a maximum one year.
Required Documentation: The student must provide documentation each semester from a physician or licensed mental health practitioner on the US-licensed professional's official letterhead.
- Completion of Course of Study
Required Documentation: During your final semester at Michigan Tech you only have to take the courses required to complete your degree. Your advisor signs the form.
- Fill out the google form reduced course load request and upload the signed advisor form from above.
- Concurrent Enrollment (Transient Students)
F-1 students are allowed to take a limited number of credits at other institutions. They must submit the transfer grades to Michigan Tech when the semester is completed.
- A copy of current Michigan Tech enrollment record.
- A copy of registration at the transient school, including student name, semester, course, course number, and credits.
- A copy of your payment for transient school courses.
- Letter from your Michigan Tech academic advisor approving the course(s) for transfer for the semester.
- Semester-Off Authorization (Non-Traditional Vacation Term)
A summer semester off is traditional and does not need to be approved. To be eligible to take fall or spring semester off, you must have been a full-time student for the two previous (consecutive) semesters, and have approval from your academic program or academic advisor.
Required Documentation: Complete the Semester-Off Authorization google form and receive approval from IPS before you take a spring or fall semester off. Submit this form instead of the Reduced Course Load Request.