Required Charter Contents to be Stated in the Following Numerical Order:
- a. A procedure for changing and approving the charter, including a definition of
the voting members of a unit and the procedure for changing eligibility.
b. Procedures and responsibilities for updating the charter and keeping it in compliance with University-wide and Senate policies. Units should propose conflict resolutions in a timely manner once one has been identified.
- A clear definition of the duties and responsibilities of the Department Chair or Director.
- Procedures for recommending promotion, tenure, and reappointment among their members. Specific areas that must be addressed in the charter are found in Appendix I. (Tenure, Promotion and Reappointment Procedures): Section 1. (Responsibilities of Each Academic Unit) of the Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty Handbook which implement the Board of Trustees (BOT) Policy on Academic Tenure and Promotion as decreed in the BOT's Bylaws and Policies, Chapter 6.4 Academic Tenure and Promotion.
- A definition of the role of professional staff and other non-tenure/tenure-track members in unit governance.
- A procedure for obtaining advice from the unit faculty regarding recommendations for sabbatical leaves (Senate Procedure 706.1.1)
- A procedure for recommending Emeritus/Emerita status to the President for presentation to the Board of Trustees. This procedure shall include approval by department/school faculty and an appeal system and may be initiated by the retiree or his/her department/school (Senate Policy 703.1).
- A procedure for departmental/school grievance (Senate Policy 704.1).
- Units may include other policies or practices if they feel that they warrant being included in their charter.
Senate Policy 710.1
12/08/2016 - Annual Review: No changes made to content.
06/03/2015 - To reflect current University titles, "Board of Control" is now "Board of Trustees" and "Board of Control (BOC)" is now "Board of Trustees (BOT)".
03/30/2015 - Annual Review: To reflect current practice, the email address for questions is now email@example.com. No changes made to content.
02/05/2014 - Updated Michigan Tech and Handbook banners, no changes made to content.
03/06/2013 - Annual Review: "Senate Proposal 09-05" was replaced by "Senate Procedure 706.1.1", "Senate Proposal 20-02" was replaced by "Senate Policy 703.1", "Senate Proposal 23-00" was replace by "Senate Policy 704.1", and "Senate Proposal 5-11" was replace by "Senate Policy 710.1."
07/10/2011 - Annual Review: Senate Proposal 16-92 was replaced by Proposal 5-11, "Required Charter Contents." To reflect current University titles and practice, MTU is now Michigan Tech and the email address for questions is now hbwebmaster.
02/27/2007 - Format changes made.